Toxotes Jaculator

Aidos

Wasnt sure what section to put this in so i chose Tankbuster because i know these fish can eventually get to a resonable size. I was just wondering if i would be able to put a pair or a trio in a pond i have built in my front garden? We are currently raising the sides of the pond to allow for more water, but it is roughly as big as a 4ft or mayb a bit bigger in volume of water. I know its definately longer and wider than a 4ft but im not sure about the depth as we are raising the sides, but at the moment it would be a little lower in depth.

Also mum currently has 4 goldfish in there at the moment, and we are planning to get some water lilies, which would suit the archers, if they are able to go in. I know that they prefer to jump for their food before shooting and was wondering if they would end up jumping out of the pond. One last thing, if anyone knows of a place that is selling them cheap that would be very much appreciated.

Sorry its so long, just hope i covered all areas. thumb.gif

Aidos

The only thing you did forget was your location. If the pond can be maintained at a temperature of 26-30 degrees, which is the optimum temperature range for them, then yes it is possible to use a pond. If you live in sunny North Queensland that makes it an easier proposition. Down in the southern states you would have to heat the pond and then it doesn't really make it viable. Archers can also benefit from slightly brackish water as well. The addition of salt to the water, whilst not essential, is beneficial.

As to where to get them.

A number of forum members sell them from time to time. I noticed that you have not applied for access to the classifieds. It is well worth doing so.

Classified Access

Gerard

Im from newcastle not syndey to start with, but i thought that temperature would stop me from keeping them in the pond. I may just have to look at keeping them in a tank inside.

Other thing is can anyone give me some suggestions on wat i could keep in the pond, when there is no heating involved? Looking for something smallish so i can have a few of them in there, and hopefully if possible some colour aswell. I know this really limits me with low temps but im sure somneone can find something ill like.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

similar to the cichlids, a small group of 2-3 archers will see the larger pick on the smaller ones, however a large group of 8-10 will see that the aggression is dispersed. Also you will probably find that the LFS has grown them out together.

Archived