Tiny Nano for Critique

punie

Hey Guys,

One more edition to the bunch of nanos i've done so far, i'll post the rest slowly.

user posted image

user posted image

Fire away with your comments. This tank is orginally a betta tank but heck, anything looks like a planted tank to me! :wottha: So i stripped the betta tank much to my gf's horror :scare: and made me a new nano.

This was a tough one to scape. Its small width made positioning of rock and wood tough and the scape had to compliment the tall height of the tank so the result was as much as i could do.

The tank was created as a low tech tank, no c02, plain substrate and a small table lamp, just to show that low tech scapes can look nice (i hope :pray:) if the right knowledge is known about what plants to use and how to scape them.

I've learnt something new with this tank, Heternthea Zosterfolia (Stargrass/Waterhedge), does not need injected C02 to thrive, but it does need strong lights. Another plant in the bunch of non-C02 scaping plants!

Tank Info:

15x15x30cm Tall

Flora:

Heternthea Zosterfolia

Echinodorus Tenellus

Ludwigia Arcuata

Dipilis Diandra

Equipment:

Desktop Halogen

300lph Internal Filter

Fauna:

1 Molly

Its not matured yet, but i thought i'd share it. Also, i couldn't get a better front-on shot because there's a mirror as the back panel of the tank, so that made photography harder.

P.s. I've passed this tank to a mate for a token, so fingers crossed we should get some updates from him in future!

Cheers,

Jerome

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good. I kinda like it and think I might try something like that. I have a lot of huge vases (25 cm diameter and 60 cm tall) that might be able to be used for something like that.

The only non-positive thing is that the technical gear (filter) is visible. The one thing I have noticed from some Japanese planted nanotank sites and blogs is that any tech gear visible is a no-no. Somehow I agree because it takes away from the illusion of a small natural space.

When you say you used a lot of light, how much light of what kind in what kind of luminaire? I'm quite interested.

Nonetheless - one cool effort. Hope your mate appreciates your handiwork.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Yeah indeed, the first picture was taken on impulse, thus the 2nd pic had no equipment in it. I used a desktop halogen. "White" Halo bulb, but it sure looks yellow to me.

Thanks for feedback guys!

Very nice indeed! That must be one happy betta. As for desktop halogens, you will probably find they put off a yellow colour similar to mercury vapour lighting. Whilst they have the wattage you need, the color (in my opinion) isn't that fantastic. However, given how small the space you have is, I think you've done very well mate smile.gif

Yeah indeed, the first picture was taken on impulse, thus the 2nd pic had no equipment in it. I used a desktop halogen. "White" Halo bulb, but it sure looks yellow to me.

Thanks for feedback guys!

Cool.

Have a look around for the new LED lamps to fit halogen fixtures. Super-white light (at least visually) and lots of it. I have no idea of the colour temperature because I can't find the product here in Sydney (yet!) but have been given the heads-up that they are available from some parts suppliers in Taiwan. (Sorry - not willing to bring samples down here from them because the freight, customs clearance and all will set me back more than the lamp is worth.)

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived