Common Bristlenose?

darkmuncan

Was in my local LFS store today and in 1 tank they had what was written as 'Bristlenose" $12each for 4cm

now these guys looked different to any i've seen.

Same shape, but they were a dark grey colour and their spots were oval shaped and white.

Now all the Common BN i've seen have been varying shades of green, are these just another variety of Common BN?

Or does anyone recognise the catfish i'm talking about?

darkmuncan,

There is some debate as to whether all of the Australian BN are of the same species. Some people say that there could be up to 3 or 4 related species which have been hybridized and that we have our own "australian BN"species formed by the conglomeration of these species.

Consequently, the morphological intraspecific variation in this species can be very high as each individual may contain differing amounts of the 3-4 parent species or indeed be a pure of only one parent species.

I have seen quite a lot of variation in BN even here in Perth including one similar to the one you mention and this is what I have attributed it to. Im sure there are archive threads delaing with BN hybridization in Australia if you want to read further.

-worm-

It could also be the substrate and lighting - I have stacks of the little suckers, and they constantly change colour. Stress makes them go black, light substrate makes them go a beigy colour, and happy ones vary from brown to spotty to mottled to green!

Archived