Time 2 Share

Ducky there's 9mm construction ply under those tanks  :thumb

I was going to ask if you had ply in there - best support surface for a tank ever

Don't mean to harp on about the centre support, but I had a 4FT x 18" x 18" on a pine stand and it sagged in the middle.

The tank sat on 9mm ply, it had a centre cross beam but no centre uprights, and the stand itself had about 100mm to spare each end. So effectively the 4ft sat inside the leg supports.

It didn't break but I got a cabinet made before anything happened. A carpenter mate of mine said it came down to +300kg being too much for a pine stand that held substancial weight within the upright supports.

Just thought I'd mention this, cause it looks like you have some weight inside the area of the upright supports.

Be worthwhile looking into mate, as opposed to the possible consequences. Maybe bolting/screwing additional beams right underneath the beams running lengthways??? You seem to have room there for it.

Awesome setup mate, i'm sure your shellies will really appreciate their homes. All i can say is "i want one of those condos". I've just discovered the world of shellies and have a pair of multifasciatus in my 6ft tank, fastastic little fish to watch and very fast. I can feel a bit of shellie fever coming on blink.gif.

Anthony

seriously guys shock.gif

user posted image

These are 5x18x18s with 10mm bases

No centre support woot.gif No plywood woot.gif

These have been running for about 18 months now.

cheers

each to their own i suppose..........but i will back my experience in the building trade thumbup.gif

DWD

Not necessarily a criticism, but my preference for a set up like yours would be to have a single tank with siliconed dividers, and then a snap vent (or similar device)siliconed in to a corner of the divider to allow water to flow between. If it is done that way, you effectively only have one tank, so you have a larger volume of water with all of the benefits that brings. Additionally you only have to do one water change rather than, in your case, 4.

You would probably find that the tank would be cheaper too.

Michael

Mick I understand what you are saying but I chose these tanks so I could comfortably move them/empty them without calling in favours from my friends. Ideally there are a lot better ways of doing this but when you consider that the entire setup was less than $350 smile.gif

DwD

Fair call. Everyone has different priorities i guess. With my work I lack time to do maintenance but dont have trouble moving them etc............ so i guess each respective option works well for our particular needs.

$350 shock.gif .....wanna get me one too! Actually...make that 2!

Michael

great stand, tanks and especially price! A real little shellie production facility you have there.

Just one Q though (top of my head without doing the maths), with the amount of species you are planning to keep, is there enough room to grow them all out?

Perhaps a 8x2.5x2 with an entire french restaraunt worth of snail shells wink2.gif

-worm-

Hi ya Jason.

I think you have done well.

Cheap, without being nasty.

Looks real tidy and you can isolate.

If there was ever a fear about disease then you have 2 options.

As you know most of it is in the introduction of new fish which you can quarantine for best results.

If you had a fear of white spot well a UV steriliser would be easily added.

I am sure you will keep a close eye and minimise your risk anyway.

Congrats on a job well done.

thumbup.gif

Archived