Columbian tetras

DanceswithDingoes

I'll second that! I bought 5 of them 2 weeks ago and i love them! Really active fish. Theyre like mini piranhas when its feeding time, but they dont harm other fish (like neons, gouramis, dwarf cichlids). They a great fish to have witha heavily planted tank, because their silver/red colour stands out so much against the green plants.

• 2 weeks later...

Columbian tetras are not new.... They've been in the hobby a loooooong time. Mass produced in Indonesia in huge numbers. The reason why they aren't more popular with the planted tank folks is that they nip fine leafed plants to some extent and can get rather nippy with fish as they get larger (and they get up to a good 5cm!).

blush.gif Nice fish colours. Tough as nails, but not the best model citizen in a planted community tank, but then again, neither are black skirt (Black widow) tetras and serpae tetras, yet at some point or other we have at least kept one of them.... tongue.gif

i used to keep schools of them in my community tank, no problems at all!!,,too bad i got sick of them and upgraded to oscars,sara,giant killers! bigsmile.gif

still remember getting them for like $1.75 from Parklea market,that was back 10 yrs ago!!

im keeping Tinfoil Barbs now, reminds me so much of those Columbians!! cryblow.gif

btw, does anyone know if Tinfoil Barbs r allowed to be imported? dntknw.gif

Archived