Using Steroids for fish ?

Sumtingfishy

Hello my fellow fish keepers have a look at the below link. Could this be the wonder medecine to keep all your fish alive no matter what happens to them ? tongue.gif

http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/FishHealth/StillAlive.htm

I found it very funny but then again if it could really save fish from dieing is there any reason why we should not use it?

Vas,

Hmmmmm... Intersting article Sumtingfishy, thnaks for sharing it. smile.gif

I was wondering how the hell do you inject steriods into a fish? Do you use a needle? also does this apply to all fish or only hardy pond fish such as koi? dry.gif

If it works for cichlids i wished i had read this article before i lsot my fish..hehehe laugh.gif

cheers

Richard cool.gif

A bit of clarification - the steroid mentioned is basically Cortisone which IS a steroid (called a coritcosteroid). However it's not like the anabolic steroids that athletes abuse.

I don't agree with the article - I am a vet and I know how these drugs should be used. It is possible that using cortisone on a dying fish might save it in some circumstances. But it's like any drug - you need to know what you are treating and use the right drug for that problem! Cortisone is not going to be the "magic" drug that fixes anything and I believe it's irresponsible to use it this way.

Also, the drug is an S4, which means you need a prescription from a vet to get it, if you go to the vet and ask for it like the article says I doubt they will give it to you, especialy if you say "I want steroids for my fish!". The vet by law should see the fish (and that means charging a consult fee) examine it and make a decision as to whether the fish needs it - though many vets will probably not want to do this as very few know anything about fish.

HTH

Cheers,

Jess

this is a little off the topic but a question to griffin.

is HCG (Human Chronic Gonaditropin) avialable to the public, ie can i just walk into the vet and buy it, also what is a round about cost?

and i would imagine the the stroide would be injected directly into the fishes muscle, or body cavity (cant think of the probername) using a needle, i would also think that it wouldn't be cheap.

Cheers James

Archived