Algae-hungry catfish for Malawi tank?

OziOscar

Hi Guys'n'Gals!

Which kinds of catfish are good at algae control in a Malawi tank? I would ideally like to try to remain true to the biotope but am open to other possibilities. I already have a couple of S. eupterus in there, but they seem to love their algae wafers (Hikari and another spirulina tab) more than the real thing.

The algae growth is the result of the exposure to sun in the room where that tank is located... I think (water parms are in check).

Looking forward to your guidance.

Cheers - OziOscar.

There are many that could work. A few good ones are : Standard Bristlenose, Common Pleco and a Gibbicep. All eat algae and the pleco and gibbi eat it on a larger scale but i would suggest a large tank for them.

How big is your tank?

Hi Wazza

I was worried about the higher pH of the Malawi tank being a problem for the BN and common pleco. It's 8.0 now. Isn't that an issue? I understood that BN are OK to 7.2 and common plecos are OK to 7.6... or am I confusing myself with science. biggrin.gif

That tank is a 36 x 14 x 20. That would mean the BN would be about the right size as the G. gibbiceps can get up to about 45 cms I hear and the common pleco much the same... unless I sell the mature specimen and start again later. smile.gif

Food for thought indeed.

Nup, bn would be fine in that tank. I have a colony in a malawi tank and there fine. my ph is 7.7 and they are happy so if your concerned lower your ph just a little. as for the Plecos i dont know about the ph and if they would be ok. But im sure the bristlenose would be fine.

Thanks for your help guys... looks like I'm in the market for some more BN. biggrin.gif

The little guy I got from PHL has been keeping the front hall community tank as clean as a whistle since he arrived (and is growing like a weed!), so the algae chomping ability is undisputed.

Cheers!! OziOscar.

Doesn't seem to be any stock around at the moment through the forum classifieds... I popped a WTB ad in and no sellers. sad.gif

Oh well - try again in a couple of weeks.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Hi Chorrylan

Sadly, no I won't be at the meeting owing to a previous commitment and you're a wee bit out of my way to drop by to collect else I would be well interested.

Looks like it's just one of those things I will need to bide my time on. smile.gif

I'm going to relocate the BN from my pH 7 display tank to the Malawi tank, but will pre-acclimatise him over a couple of days so that the pH jump doesn't injure him. When he gets into the Malawi tank he will have his work cut out for him - the sunlight is giving me some ripper algal blooms. I located a common pleco to take over cleaning duties in the pH 7 tank.

Still, could do with some more BN when they pop up locally.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived