Couple of Hoplo Catfish pics

Dark Morelia

Hey All,

Found a flash unit in an op-shop today and had some ideas. My camera doesn't have a hot-shoe unfortunately, but i thought I'd try it anyway.

With a fair bit of fiddling around and practicing, i found that if i get the timing right, i can synchronize activating the flash with pressing the shutter on my digicam. I can only get really do it reliably with a fairly slow shutter speed of course, but it seems to work.

Couple of examples from my first session...

Had the flash on top of the tank, with a couple of pieces of wax paper underneath it.

Feedback is appreciated, especially from those with LCD screens, as they looked much better on the camera LCD, but a bit under-exposed on my monitor dry.gif

user posted image

1/8 F7.1 ISO 50

user posted image

1/10 F5.6 ISO 50

Andy

Thanks for the replies ! smile.gif

Do any of you have LCD Screens ? Or is it only those people still using old monitors who think the pics look all right ? LOL

The second pic is my fave too wub.gif

Next time i'm going to try and get one sitting on a rock and i won't cheat by using catfish pellets to lure them out laugh.gif

Yep it was I,

I got a Powershot S1 IS. It's a great camera and i love it. smile.gif

But there is now an S2 IS, which has me veerrrrrry interested LOL.

The S1 IS seems to have a slightly above average amount of Noise in the images.

Just discovered the program "Neat Image". It really improves my pics thumb.gif

I might repost the Hoplo pics done with it, for comparison's sake.

Well if they look good... dntknw.gif

The reason I was using a flash is because I don't have sufficient lighting for photo's without one, and the angle from the onboard flash doesn't look very natural.

I've been practising and can do the flash and shutter together at about 1/60 now.

Sure you couldn't exactly catch a speeding bullet at that shutter speed laugh.gif , but coupled with the IS the pics are still coming out crisp even hand-held at 1/20 with subject about 2m away, so fish sitting fairly still at ~10cm aren't much of a problem.

If it works.... smile.gif

Archived