Lowering pH with peat

Melbourne_Bill

Bill, I have been using peat for quite some time in my Amazon biotope tank and in my Discus tank... Whilst I have never tried regular garden varieties, I can thoroughly recommend the Black peat granules that Sera produces. I have tried several others, including Eheims EHFITORF, but I found that not as stable as the Sera brand, and a lot messier...

Would you eally feel safe putting a garden variety peat in your tank, with the possibility of contaminents in there??? maybe it is done with no issues, but I would err on the side of caution unless it was from a reputable source that others have tried previously...

This ARTICLE may help as well... mmmm, where the heck do you get a bail of Peat around here???

HTH

Hey Bill,

I used Sera © Super Activ peat when i kept discus. It was pretty affective making my tap water which has a pH of 7.8 drop down to 6.4 without using any discus buffers. I had it in a stocking and it was in there for about 2 months and still worked well.

You might want to try it out wink.gif

hth

cheers mate

Richard

There is another peat thread in this forum about two months ago that might be worth searching out. It is well interesting.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived