taking fish on board

Mbuna

hi, i know this subject has been talked about before and i also know of people who have taken fish on board with them but i just rang virgin and they said i have to pack the fish in a styro box (as you would for unaccompanied freight) to be stowed in the cargo hold as freight at an extra charge of $30.00

Now is this only new or was the virgin consultant crapping on dntknw.gif i talked to a guy from virgin last year and he said it was fine to take them on board as hand luggage if they fit into a 6 pack esky.

So my question is has anyone flown recently, ie. in the last month, and been alowed to take them on board?

I guess it depend on where you are going too. W.A has quaranteen that they must pass before entry though I do know of one person who has brought fish in through hand luggage. I'm not sure what would happen as far as W.A is concerned if caught. Virgin seem to give varying answers depending on who you talk to it would seem. I'm not sure of the transportation rules of the east coast, sorry smile.gif

Chuck

Here is the relevant terms and conditions for Virgin

17. Guests must not take or permit to be taken onto the aircraft or as Registered Baggage any dangerous goods or potentially dangerous goods including : Compressed gases (eg refrigerants, gases such as butane, aqualung cylinders, liquid nitrogen, oxygen); Infectious substances (eg live virus cultures, bacterial strains); Corrosive substances (eg acids, alkalines, mercury, wet cell batteries); Flammable liquids or solids (eg fuel of any kind, matches (except safety matches), paints, thinners); Explosives (eg firearms, ammunitions, fireworks, flares); Radioactive and magnetised materials; Oxidising materials (eg bleach, peroxide); Poisons (eg weedkillers, insecticides); Dead animal matter; Live animals (except as in clause 18); Weapons of any type (eg knives, box cutters, any item confiscated by airport security); or items the carriage of which is prohibited by the applicable laws, regulations or orders of any country to be flown from, to or over. The Carrier is entitled to destroy, abandon, withhold or retain such goods (without any liability to the Guest) and produce them as evidence in any proceedings or inquiry as it considers appropriate.

18.1 Domestic Travel: At the sole discretion of the Carrier (acting as agent for its freight company) and provided the Guest has contacted the Carrier a reasonable time prior to the date of travel to make arrangements, a maximum of 2 animals per Guest may be transported as freight, subject to space availability, any special conditions imposed by the Carrier (or its freight company) and payment of the applicable charge. All such animals must be secured in an appropriate animal travel container (one animal per container). Animals accepted by the Carrier on behalf of its freight company are not considered part of the Guest’s Registered Baggage and the Carrier is not liable for such animals under clause 14.2.

Ged

Archived