Bumble Bee Catfish Behaviour?

bryce

First of all I'm after the scientific name for Bumble Bee cats in order to do a bit of research on them. However if anyone at all has any info what so ever about this fish could you please pass in on to me if possible. If not a website to look at would also be helpful. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bryce.

We are just as much in the dark as your are Bryce ! You see, there at least three species of catfish with the common tag "Bumble Bee" !!!! Which one have you got ????.... African, Asian, or Sth. American ?

Suggest you go to Planet Catfish "Cat-e-log" and search under 'common name' and check out the pics.

Alan

Alan,

Sweet website, also had to go through the shopmadstock website which was also very good. From what little I have been able to see of the one I have got I have come to the conclusion ( 99% sure ) that it is the Asian Bumble Bee catfish. The site offered some info but very very limited therefore any further info would be very much appreciated. Especially in regards to growth rates as well.

Cheers,

Bryce.

I'm guessing you probably have a Leiocassis siamensis (Asian Bumblebee catfish).

I've alway kept a few although right now I only have one about 7 inches in size as well as a closely related catfish Leiocassis stenomus ( False bumblebee catfish also known as the Black Lancer catfish).Stenomus doesnt have the stripe pattern but are

darker, smaller, black with a single thin white stripe down each side running the length of the fish.

Both these species are nocturnal and spend most daylight hours hiding although they do sometimes come out and do the rounds of the tank looking for food on the bottom.They'll eat anything including bloodworms, mealworms, sinking pellets, chicken, earthworms etc. They'll also eat fry so under no circumstances should be kept with very small fish.

I keep mine with larger cichlids ( Hartwegi,Cuban etc) and other catfish and the cichlids seem to just ignore them. They can hide very well and in the past I've had them disapear ( I assumed they'd been eaten) and turned up 6 months later when I did a clean up of their tank, removed rocks etc and found them quite healthy and well fed burrowed under a big rock.

They have no armour and are a soft skinned catfish. They also move very fast.

Great looking catfish. Books state their average size is 6 inches but I've seen and kept specimens up to about 9 inches in size. Nick

Archived