Sera's simple CO2 kit

PHL

Has anyone tried the new Sera CO2 kit using tablets to produce CO2, which is then trapped in a chamber in the 'reactor' within the aquarium, which I assume will slowly diffuse into the water? Looks very simple, just wondering if it actually works well enough for planted tanks.

Bell set-ups, where you trap CO2 within the aquarium work quite well. The source of the CO2 isn't relavent and DIY yeast set-ups are cheaper.

The advantage of bell set-ups is that you can't overdose the tank as excess CO2 just bubbles harmlessly to the surface with very little increased absorbtion.

Now if I was mathematically minded I could calculate the area of the bell required to give a particular concentration of CO2, but I can't be fagged. biggrin.gif

Cheers

Brett

• 4 weeks later...

Hi PHL,

If I were you I would better go for pressurised system or yeast CO2, because in long term, you will save a lot of money. Serra CO2 works great, but you got to buy the CO2 tablet regularly which cost you a fortune.

Regards,

Fishly

If I were you I would better go for pressurised system or yeast CO2, because in long term, you will save a lot of money. Serra CO2 works great, but you got to buy the CO2 tablet regularly which cost you a fortune.

I already have a pressurised kit (Dupla); the Sera kit was attractive due to price, and the cost of the refills (under $5 a month supposedly), as the tank is not that large.

I was considering hiring a larger tank, but the smaller I can get from Air Liquide was a D size, which isn't small.

Can you recommend a source for a 10lb that will re-test the cylinder and refill it? I need everything to be in test due to OHS requirements as the larger tank will be at work.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived