filtration

mark_1

What is your stocking rate going to be? that'll only turn over the tank 2.5 times.

Unless it's a super planted tetra tank, or an empty tank with one medium size cichlid in it, I don't think that's enough.

I have over 2000lph going though the wet/drys on my 4x2x2's for example - twice what you have planned. I'd spent the extra $10 & get a 1200lph cannister & either an AC300 or 500 as backup - or two canisters.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod129.htm

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod787.htm

yea i agree i recon you should get the bigger canister (CF1200) for sure it has an extra compartment and turns over more water. Also only around $20 extra too. Makes no real sence to buy a the CF1000.

cya later

Well, a sump would'be been your best bet, but failling that, the best commercially available alternative would be a couple of good canisters and an IPF. IPF inside a tank are ugly, but you can hide them with a nice piece of rock or something, I find canisters dont pick up floating particles as well as IPF do.

An option a lot of people take here is to get 2 cannister filters, so then when cleaning one there is still one running. You want to turn over your water at least 4 times an hour. In that case with a 4 x 2 x 2 you'd need to filter at least 1300-1400 lph. This means you could get away with 2 x CF-1000's (2000 lph probably not any more power than that) particularly if you have some larger fish in there like the frontosa or archer you have. Failing this, if you decide to get a larger tank than that i'd get 2 x CF1200 (they really aren't that expensive at www.aquariumproducts.com). I use an otto 1800 lph canister and a CF-1000 on my (6 x 20" x 20") and i'm happy with the job they are doing, however the CF range are a lot more user friendly than the OTTO in terms of cheaper canister filters and the taps don't break like the otto taps. Good luck

Anthony

If your buying brand new and the tank is being made I personally suggest Side Drop's. IMHO they are effective and cheap to run. If you do get one new and it is a display tank See if you can get Smoked glass and it installed in the corner because that will make it look even better. Sure you lose a little inside space but really not that much.

The one type I suggest against unless you want to clean quite often (Due to personally having used one of them) is the Fluid Bed Filters Made by Resun. I brought 2 and they just clogged up too quickly (Even with a fine sponge Pre Filter w/ massive Surface area).

A Good guide to help us suggest what filters would be suited best are -

A) Price Range

B) Tank = Brand New or Second Hand

C) Display Tank, Breeder Etc? (E.G. How much do aesthetics matter).

HTH,

-Sutto

Archived