How hard is it to make a tank

Ute God

Is it hard to make your own tank? I thought about it and came to this conclusion. Draw it up, find what size i want it, goto a glass place get them to make the size i want, then get marine silicon stuff, and glue. But would i have to leave a small gap for expandature but fill it with silicon? And if this is right where can you get the black angle plastic?

Hey smile.gif

I'd buy a ready made one in my opinion, this will save you the headache of getting things right....If you buy one from a reputable tank maker/builder you are guaranteed that it will not leak or fall apart.

Just my 2cents worth wink.gif

hi,

I build all my own tanks and it is really easy job. Even cutting the glass is pretty easy to do.

I would reccomend buying a professional self oiling glass cutter if your going to cut your own glass. The cheap and nasty ones work but only for a short time.

I have 14 tanks running and only 4 of them are shop bought tanks. The rest are all home made custom tanks biggrin.gif

Only use Selley's Window and glass silicone. Many others can have chemicals that can be harmful to fish so you have to make sure you use the right stuff.

Then i normally test my tanks outside for a week or so to make sure no leaks etc. Its easier to clean up outside than it is inside if anything goes wrong. dry.gif

HTH

Marls, come down here and buy a tank at the prices our lfs have wink.gif

Ute God, you should have been at the last meeting where George and Charlie Wright were demonstrating their tank making techniques.

The only black corner material I could find was at the hardware store on Worrigee St (BBC hardware i think.) Isons at Sanctuary Pt have some stock of the lid support edging in black. Best of luck....ps you should have bought my fish-room blink.gif

Archived