Blue and black and yellow all over

trofius

Hi all,

Just aftre some information on the breeding behaviour on Sexies.

Bit of info from me...

I bought 6 about a year ago that were a bit malnourished in a LFS~ 2-5cm, i haggled a bit with the sales guy( a mate) and got them all for $40.

I euthanased one as it was too sickly looking, another was beaten to death one night, and two more were actually chased from the tank over the next 6 months, I was left with a small one and a big one, I seperated them as the big one was nasty, they could still see each other however.

Now they have been living together relatively uneventfully for about 3 months, one is now 10cm, and the small one is about 6-7cm.. they maybe a bit small yet...anyways...

i figure the large one to be male as one would, and the smaller one to be female.

Their behaviour has been changing recently, lots of Kissing, testing mouthing at each others sides but no real aggression, (maybe once a month he gets feisty, but she has a place to hide)

So they each have their favorite spot in the tank 3x14x16h, but lately her strips have been completely disapearing and she is all pale yellow( like Lift!)

the confusing thing is their behaviour seems different, compared to my other Neolamps, the little one..F???? does the shimmy rapid swim thing in & around her pot while he cruises around outside, she also mouths at him so he cant come in but looks to be attracting him to it??? He is digging out the sand in another "his" pot.

Usually from what i have seen the male has his pot and the fem is attracted to it when she is receptive...i know my leleuipi, and pulcher males go nuts as did my cylindricus....

Can anyone clear up the situation.. dntknw.gif

I have not breed them but my understanding is that they should be kept as a pair hence the harassment and death of the others. It is recommended that the female should be introduced into the tank that contains the cave/flowerpot first and once she is comfortable introduce the male. If the male is not allowing her to enter the spawning cave then remove the male and try again a few weeks later by re-introducing the male.

Someone may be able to give you a better idea from their own experience.

Gerard

Hiya Mick LTNC How are you?

I bred these guys a while ago. It was a group of about 7 or so fish but I just added them into the 8x2x2 with the 6bar fronts, put a couple of shells in there for them and left them to it. Had two lots spawn at about the same time but only caught one lot in time which Sorroz ended up raising. I don't think this is a 'one pair to a tank' type of fish as one will easily slaughter the other. I think they should be in a group, in a large tank and in the company of other fish. Atm, I have a group in a 6 x 2 tank with an assortment of other fish and they are all co existing very well. Will be setting them up for breeding shortly.

They are sooo hard to sex in my opinion - size was the only indicator. Even the pair that bred looked identical to everyone that saw them. Those that think they can sex them by just looking at them ... think again .... dreamers laugh.gif

While they were in the tank, they were very aggressive to each other, constant jaw locking between all of them. They even took on the large male fronty who could have swallowed them whole but even he ended up backing down from them. Fascinating fish - best of luck with them Mick thumb.gif

Hi Anita, how's it going. I have three of the ones you bred. They are about 8-10 cm now. What size do they breed at. They are going well in a community setup. Agro to each other at times but get on well with the rest.

Cheers,

David

Hiya Mick  LTNC  How are you?

I bred these guys a while ago. It was a group of about 7 or so fish but I just added them into the 8x2x2 with the 6bar fronts, put a couple of shells in there for them and left them to it. Had two lots spawn at about the same time but only caught one lot in time which Sorroz ended up raising. I don't think this is a 'one pair to a tank' type of fish as one will easily slaughter the other. I think they should be in a group, in a large tank and in the company of other fish. Atm, I have a group in a 6 x 2 tank with an assortment of other fish and they are all co existing very well. Will be setting them up for breeding shortly.

They are sooo hard to sex in my opinion - size was the only indicator. Even the pair that bred looked identical to everyone that saw them. Those that think they can sex them by just looking at them ... think again .... dreamers  laugh.gif

While they were in the tank, they were very aggressive to each other, constant jaw locking between all of them. They even took on the large male fronty who could have swallowed them whole but even he ended up backing down from them. Fascinating fish - best of luck with them Mick  thumb.gif

I too find these a very frustrating fish woot.gif

Literature i have read mostly says that the male is the larger fish.

Other than that to go by ,everything about them is identical .

I have what i think is a pair in their own tank.... larger one about 15cms smaller one about 12cms.

jawlocking goes on all the time ,but no hanky panky. None of ours have harmed one another.

user posted image

My daughter has another 6 ,again with no result.... confused.gif

I will just have to wait thumbup.gif

I presume they will breed when they are ready wink2.gif

user posted image

They are an awesome little fish clap.gif

Some say a sign of breeding behavior is fading og the stripes ,but mine do this on a regular basis .

hth Kevin

raisehand.gif David,

things are going great here - thanks. I also kept some of my fry as well as some others I bought and they are well and truly breeding size now so I want to get them set up asap but will try them in a mixed environment again rather than a species tank. The ones I did breed were around the 10 - 12cm mark.

Some say a sign of breeding behavior is fading of the stripes ,but mine do this on a regular basis

Same here Kevin LOL.gifLOL.gif and equally frustrating. Here is a pretty shoddy pic of mine

user posted image

Thanks heaps for the replies everyone, it is good to know that i am not the only one wondering what is going on!.

I sit for ages at a time watching these two trying to figure out what up.

My two as i said rarely get to violent with each other they just seem to mouth at each other and kinda kiss, no jaw locking.. and she has no stripes at all most times, and sometimes has the series of spots instead of bars which i have also read is a breading sign.....apparently!....

I have also read that they do better in a community set up.. yeeerrrr right ,he cross bred with a brichardi! randy buggers, but that was while they were seperated) and in another tank he put the smak down on an elongatus!

I guess we all wait and see dntknw.gif

Thanks again.

Archived