air compressors ?

onlyme

Air compressors are great solutions for most air supplies. They deliver a fairly high amount of pressure but low volume of air. ie. their great at aerating deep ponds etc. Air blowers deliver a low amount of pressure but a high volume of air. They are suitable, depending on size, for delivering air upto 2.5m into water.

If you want a comprimise between the two look for the electromagnetic pumps.

Adam

Well i guess i know this from what you can call experience of life. Though to get to the basics any large air compressor is driven by a piston that also has a sump under it that contains oil. similar idea to a car engine. Now the oil in the sump does get past the rings on the piston in small amounts and this goes straight into the air tank. so you have oil particles in the compressed air. a water trap removes most of it and any filters but you still get small spits of crap come out no matter what you do. If you ask anyone that spray paints cars they will tell you that every now and then a bit of crap will come out. It is only a spit but over a day it might happen 10 times so you can imagine over a week or two how much little amounts can build up. Reason i know this crap is my mates own panel beating shops and spray painting shops and ive picked up a lot of info from over 20 years of building cars. Any type of compressor you use has to have no oil. Can not see why you would need such a amount of air anyway. you can buy aquarium air pumps that will run 30 or more tanks anyway and are way cheaper.

Yes, you are probably right. A $99 10cfm compressor with a 40litre receiving tank would be a gr8 solution for large air requirements, but as you say, they are probably just not suitable.

Thanks,

Craig.

If its one of those new asian made ones you can buy anywhere you wouldnt get more than a couple of months out of them before it blew up. If it didnt blow up it would catch on fire. It would be on and off every few minutes. If ya want pics i got one of my mates under the house i got off him for parts. If it happens to be a 10 cfm old good quality aussie made one buy the damn thing and shove it in the paper for sale at $250. you will have phone calls at 4.30am

lol

I take your point.

I had a 10cfm Italian one and it did exactly as you say, fell to pieces.. For $99 it has a 12 month guarentee and if it lasts 12 months I will be happy. I carry it a bit so weight is a factor. In saying that I am really suprised at the quality of the new PRC stuff, they are making leap and bounds. You are right though some one using it for more than a nail gun would be well advised to buy a decent one.

Craig.

Archived