Substrate & Decorations

Fozz

G'day everyone

well planning on stting up my standard 4fter as a display tank and am looking for suggestions on what is the best substrate to use Rocks plants etc. this will be mainly a malawi tank except for the token front and BN.

Thanx everyone who replies.

Fozz

My advice is something easily available (= less expensive), and use contrasting colours, ie gravel is a different colour to your rockwork.

For my Malawian tank I have Coffs Harbour gravel (generally a tan colour) for substrate and basalt rocks (aka blue metal) for the landscape. The blue metal is fairly abundant and easily available (it's the same stuff you might see near roadworks rolleyes.gif ), it looks good when stacked up, and easy to build caves etc.

The Coffs gravel is a different colour to the rocks, but I'd also recommend any gravel with a small diameter so your Africans can happily dig all day with no problems.

I also have a couple of silk plants for green colour, but you could try Java Fern which Africans generally won't eat.

If you use Landscaping suppliers (which are usually cheaper than a LFS), check if they've sprayed any chemical treatments on their materials, and always clean thoroughly whatever you get.

HTH

Archived