Best food(s) for large Frontosa

rae

Hi just wondering what others have found to be the best food(s) for big Frontosa's.

Also how much and how often should they be feed.

Thanks

Rae

I've done a bit of reading on a few websites but they all seem to vary so thought I'd ask those of you who have them over here! smile.gif

Hi Rae,

Lots of people will have lots of answers for this question. I can only tell you what is working for me.

Generally I feed them a variety of large, fast sinking staple pellets (Orca, HBH and others). Fast sinking for a couple of reason.

a) I have an overflow and sump so anything left on the surface will be wasted and sucked down to the sump.

b) My frontosa are reluctant to eat from the surface.

c) C.frontosa are susceptible to "Float", although I have never had it happen to me.

Once a week I feed them fresh, peeled green prawns left over from my weekly fishing trip. I also breed composte worms in a styro fish box in the back yard specifically for my fish. It also is good at reducing vegetable waste from the kitchen.

The day before the feed of prawns or worms I skip a day in the feeding of pellets. This makes them very keen for the fresh meat and means that I don't have any rotting flesh left at the bottom of the tank.

Most importantly variety is the spice of life.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hi Rae,

I agree with Chris on

Lots of people will have lots of answers for this question.
I feed mine: sinking pellets, frozen peas, frozen silversides, freeze dried shrimps, composts worms, & home made food. I feed the adults every other day. To me, hungry frontosa is healthy frontosa.

HTH,

DD

Thanks everyone. It's good to get lots of different things used and suggested because then I can try a few and see what's going to work for me.

I've heard a few people talk of home made meals - WHAT and HOW???

Also what's the best way to start a worm farm - sounds interesting and when feeding worm's do you chop them to a smaller size of just wash them and throw them in whole.

Thanks again much appreciated.

Rae

I just ytrie to give my front some frozen peas and they float at the top of the water will my front go up to eat them or will they eventually sink?

Fozz - de-shell the peas - the shell is very bouyant, the actual pea inside sinks pretty quick

/me is reminded yet again to get some worms from bunnings!!

Rae,

The worm farm is pretty easy. There is a lot of information you can google up on the subject.

The worms are available from gardening centres and are quite cheap. PM me if you need a more detailed plan for a worm farm.

In regards to preparing them for the fish that is a little more complex and time consuming.

First is to wash all the dirt off the outside of the worms.

Second is to clean the dirt from the inside of the worms. This is done by leaving the worms in wet bread crumbs for 8-24 hours. This is enough time for them to purge themselves of all the muck.

Thirdly wash off the bread crumbs and either feed them whole or chop them in halves or quarters. I like to feed them whole and watch my fronts play tug-o-war with the worms.

Archived