new fish not well

Eaglebarret

hey guys,

Yesterday i got few new fish, a couple of them though seem to be a bit unwell.

They seem to be swimming is a slightly angled position and gone darker in colour than the other new ones....is this just stress that will fix itself in time or is it something else?

When i 'slow' release fish into an aquarium i test the water in both the tank and the bag and that is an indicator as to how careful i have to be when i'm releasing the fish. I generally add a cup of tank water to the bag every 4-5 minutes until i'm satisfied the water conditions are close enough (or i adjust the tank water as well if the difference is significant. I find that the ph will drop in a bag anyway so their is always risk of your fish being shocked by a ph change. Simply floating the bag only allows the water in the bag to get up to the right temp. Did you use a similar method to mine? if you didn't it is possible that the fish are still suffering from a PH shock.

Anthony

Not sure mate, just keep an eye on the new fish and make sure they're not being bullied. Hope they pull through for ya.

they are africans, i soaked them in the water for 10mins and then released, i spoke to someone and they said it could be Nitrate being to high?? it is 10. if this is the case why are all my other fish fine.

10 is not high at all.......anything above 40 is. Unless you adjust for Malawi pH in your tank i would think the pH would have been ~7. I dont suppose you still have the water in the bag. If you do test it.

I usually whack the bag in my tank...wait 20min...then release fish, never had problem. You did not tell us what and how many fish you added to what other sized fish. It sounds like they just need time to adjust, assuming your water parameters are normal.

I'd say they have been bullied. I found a couple of the new ones with very little tail left.

They were new cobwe, two females have been bullied, I have put them with hongi, e.blue, Venustus, Bn,Plec, Saulosi, Juvenile redempress and lionheads. THere was already a female cobwe that i had in there aswell. would any of these fish cause this bullying or would it be the male cobwe?

Archived