What's the difference

ZULU

Bzzzzzzzzzz! laugh.gif

The scientific name locality is Cobwe. The township changed it's name a few years ago from Cobue to Cobwe, so the fish names changed as well. Some people still find it hard to let go of the Cobue name though. rolleyes.gif

The easiest way to prove it is that the name on postage stamps coming out of the area today have Cobwe on them.

All recently published books should have the new, correct spelling in them.

If you look through some major websites you'll see what I mean about not wanting to let go.

They will say that Cynotilapia afra "Cobue" is found at Cobwe, Mozambique LOL.gif

Cobwe are notoriously hard to get good pictures of. The blue and yellow in them seems to wash out badly in pictures.

Below are the best representation of what they actually look like in a tank I've been able to find (thanks to african-cichlid.com). The photos are:

1. dominant male

2. subdominant male

3. dominant / breeding female

4. subdominant female

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Hi Guys -

Cobwe is indeed reported to be the correct spelling (some ACE members have even visited to check LOL!). Its worth noting that the main problem arises with Aulonocara stuartgranti 'Cobwe' (which for some reason usually gets the "u" instead of the "w"). This may seem like pendantry - but its important a locality only has one spelling as it may appear that there are two different localities.

On ACE we use 'Cobwe' in preference.

HTH -

Thanks to all of you - that was informative and cflears it up for me. I have 4 which I bought of a guy who won them at an auction courtesy from a donation from Anita. My dominant male is looking resplendant and one of the females has a mouthful, so I am very excited by this. They are a great fish and in a community tank they are not very aggresive in comparison to other beautiful fish I have kept and bred such as Hongis and Red Top Black Bars.

Thanks again,

Michael clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Oh well i suppose we all have the right to be wrong ONCE! LOL.gif

Lucky you waited to hear another reply from and aquarium Oldie(No offence ViS) woot.gif

Cheers for clearing that up again for us ViS

Cheers

Adam

Archived