Electric Yellow dead

tank246

Hi,

I had an electric yellow that was holding. I separated her and let her spit. About 1 week after she had spat she died. I am thinking she was to young and the stress of holding the fry killed her. Any answers would be great

Thanks Tim

I feel for ya mate. Becauase i just had then same sort of thing happen to me. angry.gif .

I had a E.Yellow that i stripped, it was her first brood and 2 days later she died. Should i have seperated her from the other tank mates or just let her back in as i did?

Could someone plz help both of us with our issue. thanks youngy

Youngy_11, in your case the female most likely died from the stress of stripping her. I think tank246 has a different situation. Sorry i can't provide any ideas as to what went wrong, I don't think it would have been because she was too young. Can you provide information as to where you put her when you separated her? this could help to determine the cause of death.

Anthony

ok. well i think i was a little rough on her and next time i will seperate her for a few days to let her recover.thanks for your imput.

No probs mate. I did the same when i first tried to strip a female, this is one of the down falls of stripping, especially when learning the technique. This is another good reason against stripping fish.

Anthony

i brought a breeding nursery from my LFS where it has a secion in the bottom fot the babies to fall down through after the mum has spit them. SO now ill just let the mum spit them. wink2.gif .

DO you know what the average time the mother will have the eggs in her mouth before she spits them out??

My wife is an expert stripper of female fish. She uses a tool that is gentle and xauses little stress on the fish. She picks up the fish, opens the mouth with a plastic coated paperclip (small one) - the fry swim out in the bucket and then the female goes straight back into the tank from which she came. This seems to cause very little stress on the female.

Regards,

Michael clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Sorry about the detail. I did strip her i think it was a while back and i have tried different things now and there all working. I seperated her from the parent tank and she died. I am thinking it was the stress.

Thanks guys thumb.gif

Archived