Pleco's in general

BlackGhost

Hey all at work at saturday i was doing the feeding when i realised that the only plecos or Gibbs that we ordered we Glyptoperichthys gibbicep (Sailfin Gibb), Plecostomus Plecostomus and Ancristis sp. (bristol nose) and colour varyations of this fish. My query to my boss was why dont we have any others

ie... Peckoltia vittata (Gold Banded Peckoltia pleco) or mango plecos or

Opal Dot pleco.

My boss answer was that most of these are illegal in OZ. I looked at the list from bay fgish and all the have are the basics!

I want to know is this true?

If so does anyone else have anything different?

Is it possible to get other plecos?

If os how do i go about it?

Any help would be appreciated.

For now, u need to have a DEEP pocket followed by knowing the right people and going to the right shops. tongue.gif There ARE shops in Sydney that u will see rare fish varieties other than the very *YAWN* fish from the regular wholesalers.

Fancy plecos, just like bristlenose, gibbiceps, electric yellows, Pseudotropheus salousi, frontosa etc are not illegal to keep, just illegal to import.... Only fish illegal to keep are on the NSW fisheries noxious list.

Fingers crossed, AFTER the 30th Sept, we may see L168 (soon to be the only pleco allowable import) coming into the country legally... but even then, they won't be bristlenose prices. They'd be more like Gibbicep prices till people breed them in numbers. L168 isn't exactly the most common pleco overseas and there's harly any mass-production in these little sought after (overseas that is) plecos.

Nice, well kev when you get some please let me know i will be very interested!

And have you ever had leaf fish?

Nice, well kev when you get some please let me know i will be very interested!

And have you ever had leaf fish?

Leaf fish as in Monocirrhus polyacanthus? I've tried my hand at these overseas, but they were not easy. Touchy fish in my experience. dntknw.gif Don't eat anything but small live feeders... ended up dying on me. confused.gif These are not on the allowable import list, so if any end up in Aust, they would be $$$. And for such a touchy fish to pay that sort of $$$ would be very risky.

However, Ctenopoma acutirostre is often mistakenly called 'leaf fish' in Australia. These are now bred in Aust (small numbers) and they are tough little buggers... Great fish to keep.

I believe there are some for sale on the Classifieds.

Archived