Pelvicachromis behaviour

AdamR

Hey

I recently purchased a pair of Nigerian Reds Pelvicachoromis taenetius (sp). They had about 4 days of fighting over territory as fish do, and then they decided to get on and swim together everywhere. As of 3 days ago the female has been hiding, not in the coconut i have put in for her, but under a log at the back of the tank. She rarely comes out and when she does the male chases her or displays to her. My question is, Is this likely to suggest shes laid eggs or just getting beaten up too much? In the case of her laying i dont want to upset her by moving the stuff around. So what would you guys suggest i do? (these are the first pelvicachromis ive kept, so im unfamiliar with their behaviour)

Cheers Adam

Ps. I swear i posted this already if anyone finds it can you please either delete it or link it to this one. Ta

Ok ill go with that. My worry is she doesnts eat much as he always chases her around. I think it looks more along the lines of hes ready to breed shes not. He'll display to her then chase her. She just hides under a log. She has 3 coconuts and a big log to hide under. They are in a 2ft standard. She's coloured nicely just not allowed to eat.

Adam

I have the same problem, except its my female that chases my male and then the male hides. I havent seen him eat yet, but they have been in there for about 6 months and he is looking good, when i can see him. They have had two good spawns but nothing for about 3 months. I wonder why? Anyway he always seems to get enough food so i dont think you should worry mate.

The female ate today, i put the worms into her cave. They are such lovely looking fish its such a shame she isnt out and about. Oh well time will tell. Good to know im not alone with them

Adam

I think Unless you got big apistos they'd be in trouble. And if you divided the tank i imagine the kribs would fight to much. Tho i have limited knowledge as this topic would suggest.

Does anyone know much about pelvicachromis behaviour that can message me so i can call or talk to them about it as noone seems to post much. (Thanks to those who have)

AdamR

Adam as you're probably finding out there seems to be a general lack of knowledge on dwarf cichlids in Australia. Perhaps I am generalising, in which case someone feel free to correct me. But dwarves don't seem to be as popular as their bigger cousins, and consequently experience with them is limited.

i think you'll find there is alot of knowledge out there, its just the community isn't as big so it isn't shared.

i know kevin and i have drooled over pictures of B. cupido and other cute fish tongue.gif

when the dwarf cichlid forum was up there used to be a few king posters with good knowledge and breeding pairs, maybe someone can track them down, Tim Bardsley Smith and uh Nicole?

anyway pelvicachromis is also short for 'small axe murderer.' I did have a pair that spawned regularly a few years back and lived quite happily together after about 2 weeks of terrorising.

Well as an update. After buying some more dithers, i found my female came out a little bit, more so to eat than anything. Until today when i did my water change, she came out followed the vac around, then spent the rest of the day displaying to my male. He didnt seem to interested in any action. But shes out and about so thats good to see.

As a side note, how nice does a little school of rasboras look in a planted tank with a pair of dwarf cichlids displaying to each other. Never liked small fish, but when you get the numbers of them up they are much more fun to watch. Ill keep you guys up to date on whats going on.

THanks for the advice...

Adam

I think you'll find that if you try to put pelvicachromis and Apistos in the same tank that you will end up with a couple of fatalities on your hands.

Pelvicachromis get pretty stroppy at the best of times but when they are guarding a territory or fry watch out!

Unfortunately I have lost my notes on my nigerian reds I think they spawned once or twice but I had the same problem as Gizmo, my female displayed to my male all the time (was a change from their rift lake cousins)

If you are worried about the health or your female take the male out for a couple of days and let her establish a territory without being hassled.

Also fish won't always breed in the structure that you provide for them as a breeding spot. I found this when my P. suboccelatus spawned under the breeding structure provided not in it. confused.gif

Mick

Archived