Coir Peat

graceless

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what everyone knows/thinks of "coir-peat bricks" and their use in tanks?

I was wondering if it is a good medium to use in my canister to lower pH and hardness.

Cheers

Grace

Those "peat bricks" are more suited to garden use I 'd rather pay $15 for aquatic peat simply because they are ready made thus no need for rinsing. I have tried peat moss( frm Kmart) which is the 'right' if you will, type for aquarium use, but theres just too much work to get it clean enough. Go sera peat from LFS, you won't regret it Grace. Good luck! tongue.gif

Getting it clean doesn't bother me.

I just wanted to know if this type of peat is aquarium friendly.

$3 for 9L worth is like a year's supply for me! And yer, I like using alternatives when they are possible/available.

How much does your LFS sell it for and for what volume? Cause I don't believe $15 would get me muc from the LFS here!

I've bought a bag of "peat moss" from Bunnings about 2 weeks ago. Firstly, I use hot water to soaked a big scoop for about 10 mins, just to kill anything (eg. insects/worms) that were presented in the pack. Then followed by placing the soaked peat moss into a filter bag (I use the Chinese "cooking bag" instead, available in any Chinese grocery stores for about $1.50 each, much much cheaper than a "real" filter bag! cool.gif ), and finally placed it inside the filter. Done! smile.gif The fish in my tank are doing very well, and so far, I can't see there's any negative impacts on fish with the use of peat moss.

In regards to "Sera peat", I've seen there's a LFS in my local area selling it for $12.50 a box. Haven't try it though, since it only last for 2 - 3 months and then need to replace it with some new ones.

But I'm talking about COIR peat - which is a type of coconut extract i believe

Talk to the Borg, there was some discussion at the last meeting and he said not to use coconut based peat but I didn't catch the reason why....

Alex

Just out of curiosity, why wouldnt you just use the peat that other hobbyists have tried with success?

No reason at all mate... I just have some coir peat which i'm not using for anything else at the moment, but curious as to whether it would work. I'm in no rush to get peat into my tank..suppliments are working just as well... someone has to try something new for the first time.. if no one else has, then maybe i should?

Grace,

Go and visit Tracey at Neptunes, she would be able to help you out with the Sera Peat as would be the only one in Canberra with it. Will definately be under $15 thumb.gif

Archived