Breeding Red Humps

WhiTe_TiGeR

Hi,

I bought 5 Red humps a few weeks back which are all around the 6-7cm mark, and they apear to be 1M and 4F. I have been keeping them in a standard 4ft tank with some other juvi earth eaters. To my surprise though 2 days ago i watched the red humps spawn bigsmile.gif (had no idea they could reproduce so young)

Anyway my question is what is the best thing to do with the female who has been holding for 2 days now? Do i treat them the same way as i would with an african mouthbrooder? Should the female be separated? Should she be left to tend to the fry once swimming? or should she at some point be stirped?

If anyone has had any success with them any info would be great.

Thanks

Steve

You can strip her and put the eggs in a tumbler, or seperate her. I would go for seperation, because then you get to watch her raise the fry. Also she should hold for around 8 days.

Hi Steve,

You will find that if the male has access to 4 females he will more than likely service all four females, he will just work his way around them until all four are carrying.

Mine had two or on occassion three females and believe me the only thing on a male Red humps mind is spawning.

I also wouldn't try to strip the females too early as you will find that the fry are much smaller than any of the African mouthbrooders and unless you are setup to cope with the small fry it could be a bit of a disaster.

If you have a smaller tank set up to take the brooding female you could try putting her in it and letting her go full term so that she can release them and possibly go through the process of caring for them, picking up and releasing them etc.

If your main tank is not too busy she may go through this process for a short time before giving up and spawning again.

Hope all goes well,

John.

Thanks for the info guys, i might shift her to an empty 2ft tank being her first mouthful, just let her do what comes naturally. I am actually surprised she has held being her first and all

thanks again

steve

Hey White Tiger,

I too have redhumps and was curious as well whats the best method to raise fry etc, you may need 4 x 2ft tanks just in case the male does the rounds hehe not sure whether you can put all the females together if they are all carrying??? thats another question for the experts. Hopefully things work out well for you. Maybe when I bred them too we can exchange fry?

Hey White Tiger,

I too have redhumps and was curious as well whats the best method to raise fry etc, you may need 4 x 2ft tanks just in case the male does the rounds hehe not sure whether you can put all the females together if they are all carrying??? thats another question for the experts. Hopefully things work out well for you. Maybe when I bred them too we can exchange fry?

Sounds good, after keeping africans for so long, the Red Humps being my first americans except for discus, are just so much more interesting. As for raising the fry i have been doing a bit of research, and it isnt that much different to raising any other mouth brooder, i must admit the 2 females which are holding at the moment seem to fight amongst each other, almost head butting dry.gif

Thanks

steve

Archived