peppermint spawn again

MikeWs Fish

After butchering my first pepp spawn of about 90-100 eggs, one of the smaller females laid a clump of around 30 out in the open.. There was no male guarding them so i put them in a fry saver with an airstone. Today when i had a peep, most of the eggs have little black dots on them. I'm assuming these dots are eyes and not fungus?

The egg that they are on looks in tact and fertile.

Also seems like a male is sitting on eggs in his PVC pipe, but i dont want to disturb him and have a look. He has been there for a few days and hasnt moved thumbup.gif

Nice job Mike, wish I could say the same for mine thumb.gif

-worm-

Thanks worm,

Yes, I am glad to confirm a fertile spawn wub.gif

about 40 eggs or so, some of them are even starting to become detached from the clump and swim around. Can also see eyes and tails wriggling.

I always thought that one day i would come home and find about 100 little pepps all scattered around the tank, but since I am raising the eggs myself it's a bit different. I wonder why the parents reject the eggs so often? At least one male had to have noticed them since they are fertile.

Ok it seems like I have severly underestimated the size of the spawn. It more like 60-70. Theyre in an ice cream container style fry saver. I have put some A grade quality poo in there laugh.gif . I might get some wood too. Ive adjusted the airstone so that its right at the water level rather than voilently stirring up the kittens.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Some advice from an 'old hand' at breeding pepps would be much appreciated smile.gif

Tsk Tsk....not so much of this "Old" talk smile.gif

So far you seem to be right on track. You might be a bit early with the 'Poo', they will only need that when the start to eat, and that wont happen untill the are fully coloured and free swimming.

Don't reduce the water circulation too much. Is the ice cream container one of those fry savers with gauze pannels ??

Read all the posts on all the forums you can find on artificially raising Ancistrus cat fish. wink2.gif

Alan.

Thanks Alan,

You're just the sort of person I was hopeing I'd get a reply from (not with the old business tho lol) smile.gif

Yes they are in a fry saver such as this:

user posted image

I will read up as much as possible too. Thanks very much. I'll circulate the water a little bit more then.

The big mouldy thing in the center of the clump off eggs is about 15 or so eggs that didnt make it.

Yes,,,,so far so good.

Don't worry too much about the "dud' eggs,, ya get that angry.gif

Keep up the good work and fingers crossed for the next week. You are going to see some amazing changes to those little orange blobs.

Luck!!!

Alan.

Archived