More than 1 Male Frontosa?

darkmuncan

In my 5x2x2 i have about 14fish including 1 8inch Male 6 Bar,

I picked up another 7inch 6 Bar Male tonight and when i got home and introduced the new guy to the tank, the original bigger male was not happy at all.

He chased him continuously for about 20mins, i went away to get some dinner, came back after another 20mins and the front i added was 1/2 on his side at the back of the tank, not really moving at all.

Luckily he was still alive and i spent the next hour physically helping him swim in a 2nd tank i had to set up. So hopefully he makes it though the night!

He is not in a good way at all though, but i'm just glad i came back when did.

I was under the impression i could have more than 1 male Fronty in a tank of that size without having too much aggression?

The original front is the most placid lazy fish as well, he hasn't even said 'boo' to the baby BN i have in there.

Took me quite by surprise, as there are no females in my tank @ all.

Anyone else has any problems with more than 1 large male Fronty?

Hi,

I have 8 fronts in a tank, and out those 8, 2 are male. The alpha male does chase away the other male ocasionally, but never have any aggression.

From reading articles on front, it is always suggested to keep them in a group, and avoid puting only 2 male fronts in a tank.

Time to get more fronts..??? smile.gifwink2.gif

Hi,

Just like to add my 2cents worth... smile.gif

With any colony there is a hiearchy established, pecking order if you like. And males in that colony will have established their 'terrority' in the tank.

If you disrupt the 'harmony' of an established colony by introducing a new MALE, then some aggression will result from the original male/s in the colony. Basically what you done was introduce a threat to the original male, and he will defend this terrority, ie living space and his harem smile.gif

The method I follow when introducing new fish to a existing colony, is to remove all substrate, so that the tank is bare. This way you'll remove established terrorities and somewhat disorientating the fish, then introduce the new fish. I normally would do this at night when fish are sleeping. Leave the tank bare over night, then replace the subtrate different to the original setting.

I hope this helps

Cheers.

Marls.

In my 5x2x2 i have about 14fish including 1 8inch Male 6 Bar,

I picked up another 7inch 6 Bar Male tonight and when i got home and introduced the new guy to the tank, the original bigger male was not happy at all.

He chased him continuously for about 20mins, i went away to get some dinner, came back after another 20mins and the front i added was 1/2 on his side at the back of the tank, not really moving at all.

Luckily he was still alive and i spent the next hour physically helping him swim in a 2nd tank i had to set up. So hopefully he makes it though the night!

He is not in a good way at all though, but i'm just glad i came back when did.

I was under the impression i could have more than 1 male Fronty in a tank of that size without having too much aggression?

The original front is the most placid lazy fish as well, he hasn't even said 'boo' to the baby BN i have in there.

Took me quite by surprise, as there are no females in my tank @ all.

Anyone else has any problems with more than 1 large male Fronty?

or you can take the male out of that tank and put the two in sperate tanks and return them at the same time. make sure that the injuried one is better though coz there will probably be a little bit of fighting. this is what i do when one male gets over agressive

Archived