Big water change and baby bn

hungsta

Hi Guys,

I have had several batches of eggs my breeding tank and i have done a 50% water change because it was really dirty, this was when the bn hatch and have eggs yolks.

I noticed that when the numbers decreased dramatically.

Is this because of the water change?

Will a large water change harm the babies even though the dad is looking after it?

Cheers,

Hung

Hi Hungsta,

Don't think large water changes are a problem so long as you don't shift some parameters to much and of coarse nail them with chlorine.95 percent water change even on touchy stuff like Altolamprologus if the waters right is no problem

But in saying that I've killed fry with 25 percent water changes when the water wasn't right so a 50 percent change could definitely do it.

Thanx for that...

i will keep that in mind next time...

BTW what is the best way to save and maximise fry count??

SHould i move the cave with dad in it to another tank?

Also do older fry eat the newly hatched fry?

Thanx

I am not saying it will never happen, but in all the years I have bred B/N there has never been a problem of predation.

Mind you the breeding tanks have only B/N and proven harmless dithers.

Alan

I move my male intube with fry as I run trickle filters with grates that the fry can get through. I suggest waiting till a day or two before the fry will move out of tube, fill a small tank with water from the tank the males(minimise your changes in this instance) in and probably do it in the morning so he's less likely to take of at night time.If there in a sponge filtered tank I rotate the adults through tanks when baby count is high enough usually each spawn

Archived