Feeding apistogrammas

BlakeyBoyR

Im trying to figure out what to feed my apistogrammas. Everywhere on the net it says live food only etc. but quite frankly it isnt going to happen. So far my borellii have been surviving off frozen brine, frozen bloodworm and colorbits. Their colours are beautiful but I'd like to vary their diet a little more.

Anyone who has kept apistogrammas will know they arent too keen to come to the surface for food, meaning I have to find a good quality sinking pellet for them. I'd love them to eat flake, however as I said they wont come to the surface.

Any suggestions? Ive read through the FAQ of course, however most of the foods seem to be floating.

Im not sure if colorbits are meant to float, but I grind them down with the back of a teaspoon so they're apisto-sized and I dont have any problems. Im thinking of trying NLS however I dont know if it will sink low enough for the apistos to snatch it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've never had wild caught fish but I'd say as long as they are eating what you are feeding then it should be ok. I generally feed mine colour bits as they generally sink slowly giving them a chance to grab them on the way down. I also supplement with frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp.

I recently got a grindal worm culture. They seem to be a good size for small fish and a nice treat for adults. The fish I have fed them to so far have gone nuts for 'em. I'm going to give them a go with my apisto fry and adults once the culture gets going properly.

Dean

I fed mine frozen blood and brineshrimp and flakes (flakes sink if you release them underwater) If they sink too fast the apistos will find them, they like looking around for food on the ground. My brother has two wildcaught Breitbinden and they exclusively eat flake. I feed mine live worms as a special if i come home early. Black worms arent too hard to keep. Everynow and then they get live brineshrimp too. They love the live food, but they like any food.

For colour live food or frozen brineshrimp work the best in my experience. Seeing that yours are wild, id try some live food, and watch them hunt. Great thing to see. Try spread them round the tank so they can find them and catch them

Archived