White Spot and salt

goldfish

Hey guys, need your experience.

My tank is 5x2x2. It is fully planted with amazons,vals,crypts and hair grass.

I have 10 Congos , 5 Clown loach, 2 flying fox,1 pleco, 7 black neons and right now 25 Cardinals. I originally had 37 Cardinals.

My problem is my tank has been getting white spot everytime I do a water change every 2 weeks.

The new water i put in is from a barrel and aged for 2 weeks. I heat the water up to 28degrees in the barrel b4 pouring into the tank, I also add in water ager.

The day after i pour the new water in,the white spots seems to be on the clown loach and cardinals only.

There was originally white spots when i bought the clown loach, but i treated the tank and pretty sure theres no more white spots. Maybe the eggs were in gravel or sumthing!

I'm curious if anyone has re-occuring white spot problems with a planted tank. I suspect the plants and driftwood might be a safe haven for the white spot eggs. So any suggestions as to how to be sure that the eggs are killed completely?

The cardinals seems to be dissapearing one every few days, and i assume its from the white spots because theres no other fish that can eat them in the tank, the pleco is only 5 cms!

your problem isnt the water change,its the fact that white spot has a life cycle of 10-14 days, go to your lfs ,buy some protozin, and do 2 full courses as per the instructions,but MAKE SURE you use half the dosage otherwise the clown loaches will suffer skin damage ,this stuff(protozin) is the only one ive found to be effective!

if youve got recurring white spot salt will do nothing,the ideal situation would be to take the fish out and dose the tank and fish separately(protozin) after which you change all the gravel in the tank,this is not always practical,but you must take this parasite seriously even if you have to get rid of the elephant nose and clown loaches,or you will be plagued for ever,and dont be tempted to buy a cheaper medication ,in my personal experience(views not necessarily endorsed by this forum)they dont work

Salt will work , so will raising the temperature in the tank and so will a number of medications from the lfs.

The important thing about treating ich is to treat the whole tank and the fish in it as they will all be infected. Before treating find out what all your fish can tolerate in the way of treatment and then use a combination that they can alll tolerate. It is important to maintain treatment for at least twice as long as the ich can survive at the temperature in the water, otherwise the parasite may develop an immunity to the treatment(which may explain why you cant get rid of it). I've added a link to an article i wrote for PCF, you may find it of some use.

http://perth-cichlid-forums.ipbhost.com/Wh...espot-t633.html

HTH

Bob

I hope the white spot dont get an immunity to the medication!!haha

Yeah my tank is planted heavily,it would be such a hassle to remove all the gravels!!!!..it was such hard work planting the plants!, plus the tank is actually 27 inches high,so its damn hard to reach the bottom of the tank!,,i might just turn the water temp up to 29degrees, and do the white post medication continuously every 3rd day for a month!,,white spots cycle are around 10 to 14 days right?, so if i keep the medication in the tank for 30 days in a row the chances of killing off the eggs aswell is quite high right? plus i will change 25% water every week!!

I have kept some of my cardinals in a breeding container in the 5ft tank,when the lights are off you cant actually see the white spot, but when you turn the lights on, man u can see heaps on the fins and tails!!,,so next time guys u go buy some fish prone to white spots, make sure its directly under the lights!,,when its swimming around you cant really tell it has white spots until u put it in your tank and yur fish is missing!!!!,,,from now on whenver i get new fish,i always put in my quarantine tank to see if it has any white spots or fungus.,,

raising the temperature will not kill white spot it just speeds up the life cycle,i had salt in the tank when i first got the infection ,so that theory doesnt hold up and sorry canerod but i must have had a bad strain because i did 4 treatments with 2 different types of medication which i cannot name on the forum and i might have well tipped it down the sink -ich back within 3 days, i went to my lfs and he said protozin was available again so i forked out the $39 (i figured $900 worth of fish justified the cost) and fixed up the white spot straight away, i repeated the course a week later just to be on the safe side and 5 weeks later it hasnt come back,imo the other medications are a waste of money

Hey Reddevil and canerod,,thanks for your experience guys!

Its good to hear what others have done when you're in the similar situation!

I think i've got a tough bugger ich in my tank!,,gonna try protozin!,,on www.aquariumproducts they r selling for $25 which treats 900lts!,,$65 which treats 3000+!!,,,my tank is about 500lts,,so be on safe side im probably gonna treat it for like 3 dose just to make sure the bloody thing dies off!! clap.gif

Archived