Will this stock plan work?

yhbae

I have a 33g (3ft long) tank waiting for me to put something in it... I'm thinking Lake Tang species.

I will be adding one of Julies (probably J. Trans) and one of the shellies (N. Multis if I can find it). I'll try to look for young ones, buy 4 - 5 of them each.

Lots of rocks with caves on one side, and lots of sand with shells on the other side.

My questions:

1. Can I mix any of the Malawi species here? How about a trio of Lab C or P Saulosi?

2. I have AquaClear 300 on it right now. Is this sufficient with 2 sponge medias, or do I need to supplement it with another filter?

3. I have some java ferns already established on some stones. Will this grow ok in this new environment?

4. Does one of those "purple" reef light help improve the overall look of the tank? I currently have one, but if it doesn't help, I won't use it.

5. If answer to #1 is "No", then can I put the two species in a 25g (2.5ft tank) instead? Then I can use this tank to expand my original community tank, which is the 25g... biggrin.gif This tank is driven by AquaClear 200.

Appreciate any feedback!

Hi -

Multis and Julies should work fine. Have a dense pile of rocks at one end of the tank and some shells at the other end.

Your questions wink.gif

1. Don't add anything else... this is more than enough for a 3' tank and should look great once both colonies get going.

2. Aquaclear 300 should be fine. Although a sponge filter wont go astray and fry like to feed of them.

3. Yes, and the fish wont chew the plants.

4. No. I don't think so. At least not in this case. Those reef lights (actinics) tend to bring out blues in the fish. There isnt much blue in these fish.

5. No. I think anything smaller is going to be too small.

HTH -

Multis and Julies should work fine. Have a dense pile of rocks at one end of the tank and some shells at the other end.

Sounds goood... biggrin.gif

1. Don't add anything else... this is more than enough for a 3' tank and should look great once both colonies get going.

Just to get some ideas, what size of the colony would work here? I'd imagine I'll need to thin out the tank to stay constant in number, and setup a separate grow up tank...

2. Aquaclear 300 should be fine. Although a sponge filter wont go astray and fry like to feed of them.

3. Yes,  and the fish wont chew the plants.

The sponge filters I have are super ugly and big (for breeding tanks). Would a chunk of java moss tied to rocks work for feeding fries? I'd imagine they will survive in the environment as well... I also hatch brine shrimps almost every day...

4. No. I don't think so. At least not in this case. Those reef lights (actinics) tend to bring out blues in the fish. There isnt much blue in these fish.

My original intention was to see if I can accomodate Saulosi which can become blue... biggrin.gif That idea is out of the window for now. Curious, if I do end up with another tank of Mbunas, will this light work for the blue fishes the way it does for marine fishes? They have such <B>DEEP</B> blue color!

5. No. I think anything smaller is going to be too small.

I do accept this as a fact, but still curious. There's 6 inches difference between the two tanks and there seems to be quite a bit of difference in ability to accomodate different species combos. At least for non-territorial peaceful fishes, the differences are not that big between these two tanks...

Thanks for the feedback!

rolleyes.gif

Archived