Butterfly Pleco.

Alan

Im very happy about it! thumbup.gif

I've recently wanted to have a dabble into exotic catfish. Now that these will be a more sensible price, i'm gonna give them a go. They are, apparently, not the hardest fish in the whole world to breed. (on an exotic catfish plain, not a mbuna plain.)

And how many others Boots ??? L015. L038, L049, L052, L074, L169, L202, L204, L316 etc..etc..etc..

At that size, just about any little striped pleco !!!

L168 are so variable, makes you wonder if that species was not chosen to mask a dozen or so others.

Alan.

Oh, I was just thinking how many other little striped plecos could pass for the species approved.

Note.....both the 'common' name and specific name are incorrect in the legislation.

wink2.gif

Might just be my devious thinking, whether it was intentional or not, it opens the door too a couple of dozen different species.

Maybe we should just keep quiet on this and just see what "happens" to turn up in the next twelve months or so. smile.gif

Alan.

Note.....both the 'common' name and specific name are incorrect in the legislation.

wink2.gif

Even the new species name is older than the report. Another possibility is they don't actually have a clue? Of course I'd never look a gift horse in the mouth. It's great to get a few additions and excercise the process.

I am just keen to see what turns up. Then see how good we are at breeding!!!

This is going to be interesting!!! Common bristle nose (not on the import list) are only worth $1 @ 3cm SL.

Where will the price of other little plecos settle ???

Some of us have already paid what might prove to be 100 x what the fish will eventually be worth.

So,,,,,that is the game we play!

Alan.

Other than on albino bn I can't imagine to many species that will see that sort of price drop through breeding or possible importation.Peppermints are still fetching $10 to $30 from shops years down the track and there rated as being relatively easy and can have alot larger spawns than many of the smaller plecos.I think there will be a handful of people in Aus that would have bred a few of the moderate difficulty plecos in 5 years time should be interesting,

Personally I am not interestd in the price or returns to breeders....I just want to see new species established here in Australia. Isn't that what the hobby is all about ????

What happened to the species I gave to "so called" breeders a couple of years ago????

Drive from Bris south with a couple hundred fish to make sure they arrived in good health.

Spread them about, and what ?????

Did the same thing with West african cichlids here in S E Qld and only one of six "breeders" still has them and producing .

I sometimes wonder ! sad.gif

Alan.

The Idealists won't like this pespective. I personally doubt that if exotic plecos became cheap that you would see anymore being bred here infact I believe less would as alot of the people who would do the work probably won't be so motivated.People complain alot about the price of stuff but I don't see whats wrong with a somebody starting on breeding common bristlenose,buying with the proceeds a colony of say peppermints breeding those then buying another more difficult pleco .To my mind the game works and actually encourages people to be better breeders , work harder and persist longer on projects.I still maintain half the reason alot of people want rare fish is for exactly that reason there rare.

Archived