Long Distance Aquarium Transportation

Crivit

Hi,

I'll soon purchase two 6x2x2.5 tanks from Sydney with the view of transporting them to Canberra on the back of a ute.

Other than using polystyrene sheets to protect the glass, strapping them in snuggly and driving very slowly :) does anyone have any tips on how to best protect them and minimise damage?

Thanks in advance,

David

Just remember that blankets and foam should be placed everywhere, not just underneath the tank. Place as many around and in between the tanks as necessary to stop movement, they should be wedged in nice and snug, make sure there is no contact at all with anything hard.

Dont forget to strap them down!

G'day

For the lids if you have the room, wrap these separately in towels or something like that. If you don't have the room, then you may be able to tape them into position, Maybe?

Blankets are a wonderful thing, use as many as you can get hold of. These must be kept FLAT under the tanks. (PS. do not use your other halfs best blankets!). As already stated, try to minimise movement and securely hold them in position.

I never really used polystyrene when I moved my tanks I don't know how useful this would be for cushioning the tanks.

Keep the tanks as far forward as possible in the ute.

You may also like to decrease the pressure in the tyres, a bit. (PS. I have not tried this myself.)

I find cardboard boxes very usefull for pakaging, especially on corners etc, and for tieng down the tanks put a piece of cardboard on the tank edge under the ropes to stop shelling of the glass,,

Gosh,,,container loads of aquariums come from China to Aus !!!! just make sure they are secured so they don't move with some foam between.

The biggest danger is loading and unloading,,,,,don't scratch them !!!!

Alan

G`day mate

i havent transported bigger then a 3ft tank in my ute but i have transported alot of breakable stuff. The best thing i ever picked up was one of those massive removalist blankets the real thick, grey one. They often throw them away because they get to warn for them, but they are great for personal jobs. I would ask around if u can pick one up. Also make sure when you wedge the tanks in that there is no possibility that it could move.

cheers Will and good luck dude

Thanks everyone for the great ideas and suggestions.

The move is planned for mid-May and with the advice given it should go fine.

Also if your interested pictures of the tank stand which will hold these tanks can seen here.

Comments or criticism are always welcome and yes I know the stand is over-engineered. smile.gif

Good stuff david

I look forward to seeing the occupants. Now if only I can convince the wife to add a duel level 6x2x2 in an alcove that I have in the house if only..... woot.gif

cheers

rosco

Don't worry about it being over-engineered. I would rather have a rack that I know will never fail. Did you make the rack yourself?

Ged. The rack was made by a local Canberra welder to my specifications.

I look forward to seeing the occupants. Now if only I can convince the wife to add a duel level 6x2x2 in an alcove that I have in the house if only.....

Rosco. And the occupants are looking forward to moving in LOL.gif

I'll post additional pictures once the tanks are setup.

I transported a tank from Sydney to Wollongong. We used one of those foam mattresses for underneath the tank and that worked wounders also use heaps of blankets and tie them down tight

Archived