Turtles

E4G13M4N

<H1>Ideal basking area for turtles???</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: GoFast01</STRONG><BR><BR>I?ve kept turtles for a couple of years now and have always had their basking platform set-up with a UV Reptile fluro tube and a heat lamp.

<br>

<br>

I?ve now got my hands on a BIG tank that is going to hold my 2 turtles & some cichla monocolus. It has sufficient filtration for both to live happily & my turtles have lived with various fish before and they haven?t been a problem.

<br>

<br>

So?. If you could have the ?perfect? basking platform for your turtles then what would it have? How big would it be? What would the base/platform be made out of? How often would you replace the tube? Is there a better light than a fluro tube?

<br>

<br>

The tank is huge? 9 foot long & 3 foot wide & 2.5 foot tall?2000 litres?. So I?ll be making something that?ll be sitting above it.

<br>

<br>

Put forward your ideas!!!

<br>

<br>

Thanks

<br>

<br>

Go Fast.

<br>

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Jumpin' jehosophat! Nice size tank you have there! Good on ya.

<br>

<br>

for a basking platform, you could use any one of a number of things... You could build it up with rockwork at one end, but this may limit the space for the C. monoculus. Another (preferred) method is to build a platform out of glass and affix it to the tank sides, so that the fish can still use the space underneath it. If you do it this way, smear silicone on the surface of the glass and press gravel into it, so as to create grip for the turtle to climb on. Synthetic rock products (made of latex) also come in a huge range and are very useful for turtle platforms.

<br>

<br>

For lighting, the brand Arcadia has just come out with an awesome new UVA and UVB producing light. It appears as one of those energy-saver bulbs, and radiates its spectrum in feet - not inches - so it provides a much better alternative to natural sunlight. They usually retail for about the $180 mark and need to be replaced annually. They fit into a conventional screw-fitting.

<br>

<br>

Hope this helps,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: GoFast01</STRONG><BR><BR>That's great Andrew.... thanks for your reply!!

<br>

<br>

I hadn't heard of the new Arcadia range so I'll definately look into that... A conventional screw in fitting would work well because I'll be able to adjust the hight easily when I hang it from the roof

<br>

<br>

I'm probably going to have the platform ontop of the tank... I'll have about 1-2 inches of space between the water & the top of the tank so the turtles can still breath... I was thinking of flat perspex with silicon & gravel with a wall/barrier so I can lift it off easily... I'll have a ramp with similar 'grip' on it dipping into the water... it should be sweeeettttt

<br>

<br>

On another note... has anyone head of turtles' claws scratching glass?? as is they get excited when you're watching them and swim against the glass and scratch it??? I haven't noticed it on my tanks but a fella mentioned it when I bought my big tank...

<br>

<br>

MC

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>That sounds like a great setup! I personally wouldn't worry about the turtles' claws on the glass... The rule of thumb is that one substance must be harder than another for it to scratch, so I think glass will be safe from the turtles.

<br>

<br>

I can help you with the arcadia lighting - give me a call on 0417 651 573 and I can probably organise to have goods sent to you at a great price.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: GoFast01</STRONG><BR><BR>The tank is sitting in my brothers garage at the moment because I'm going to be moving house in the next little while... It'll be in perfect working order by the time I move it to my new place...

<br>

<br>

I'm up in Brisbane whether that poses a problem with you sending bulbs etc?? I'm always looking to save $$$ though if possible.

<br>

<br>

Cheers

<br>

<br>

MC

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Sending things interstate will be no problem.

Let me know what you need and I'll see about some good prices for ya.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: bazdawg</STRONG><BR><BR>hey all,

<br>

i currently have 2 turtles (unsure of species) one long neck, the other no idea

<br>

i was wondering what type of fish i could keep with them in an outdoor pond, as i am sick of having so many mosquito larvae

<br>

the turtles are about the size of a small plate (roughly 15cm)

<br>

if anyone has any idea of what fish i could keep them with that would be greatly appreciated.

<br>

thanks all

<br>

baz

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 23Skidoo</STRONG><BR><BR>How much land area do tortoises need? I've just applied for my herp license, and a fella has offered me some "penny" tortoises, i was going to put them in a 24x24x15 (15 high) and make a platform out of some 24x5 luvas, so it would be 24x10 (just under half the tank depth) Is this enough? or too much? Or just right? I don't even know what kinda tortoises they are???

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: mike</STRONG><BR><BR>hi there

<br>

I have a long neck turtle that I keep with african cichlids

<br>

silver dollar and pimelodus

<br>

no problem at all.

<br>

I wish to get more turtles.

<br>

can you give me a contact no

<br>

mike

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi all,

<br>

<br>

First up... 23Skidoo... All Australian species are freshwater turtles - we have no tortoises in this country.

<br>

<br>

Next... That platform sounds adequate for a hatchling, so go for it.

<br>

<br>

Mike, don't forget that your turtles need land, so make sure they have a platform, which they can climb up to bask under UVA and UVB producing lights. Unfortunately, if they do not have access to proper UV lighting, they will eventually die of calcium-deficiency related disease.

<br>

<br>

Best regards all,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Bazdawg,

<br>

<br>

Your best bet, since your turtles are larger, is to put some goldfish in that are big enough to escape the jaws of death.

<br>

<br>

However, I would personally put some native floating plant (Ceratopteris spp.) to make a dense hiding area and try my luck with White Cloud Moutnain Minnows. With enough places to hide from the hungry horaces, they should be able to maintain their own numbers through breeding.

<br>

<br>

Hope this helps,

<br>

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Skid, just letting you know that there is no such thing as a 'Penny Turtle'. It is often used in the trade and is very misleding to the unknown buyer who believes that the turtle will stay that size. All they are is juvenile turtles.

<br>

The most commonly sold turtle, sold as 'Penny Turtle' are the Eastern Long Neck or Snake Necked Turtle (Chelodina longicollis. They can reach a carapace (shell) length of 250mm and will need a suitable size tank so it is comfortible.

<br>

I highly recommend getting a couple. They are such amazing animals

<br>

Cya

<br>

Tim

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: drew</STRONG><BR><BR>good advice andrew, maybe try some small silver perch if you have some sought of filtration setup , as i know some goldfish can be a bit slow and i know turtles like to hunt them down. regards drew

Archived