Turtles

E4G13M4N

<H1>Wall around pond?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi ppl, i've been SLOWLY constructing a pond. The hole is dug (hey dad, i dug another hole

) and i'm putting a sleeper wall around it. The first sleeper around the border is on its side and gives it 150mm high. I've then layed another on top of it(but flat) so it gives it another 75mm height and also a lip. Does anyone know what i'm trying to say?

<br>

Will this keep them in? And also are they safe from birds and cats if it doesn't have a net over it all? Their carapace is about 14cm. I'll try and get some photos up to try and explain it better.

<br>

Tia

<br>

<br>

Tim

<br>

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Tim,

<br>

<br>

I get what you're saying totally. I, myself, have always erred on the side of caution... I would lay another sleeper on top, sideways, bringing the wall to 300mm, then lay the last sleeper flat on top (adding the lip and another 75mm). This should keep the little blighters in.

<br>

<br>

They should be safe from birds, but cats are a concern. Do you have a cat? Do any neighbours have one? If so, you will need a deterrent spray of some sort to keep them away - or perhaps use negative reinforcement by spraying them the garden hose whenever you see them there. This should eliminate the need for a net.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Andrew, unfortunately the neighbours have a cat. I'm not a cat person at all.

<br>

Are those sensor sprinklers any good? Yeah, i was concerned if it was high enough or not. Apparently they can climb pretty well. Is there anything else that needs to be done for a turtle pond? I'm making a waterfall into the pond to. Around the pond has grass. Will they hibernate into the grass or should i put in some leafmulch?

<br>

Thanks

<br>

Tim

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Tim,

<br>

<br>

A sensor sprinkler should be fine for that.

The waterfall sounds cool too!

<br>

<br>

I would add leaf mulch (thickly) during Winter for hibernation.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>Cheers Andrew,

<br>

i'll try and get some photos and it progresses. Would i add the leaf mulch just on top of the grass or should i dig it up abit so they do find it so hard to burrow in?

<br>

The thing i'm going to miss is they are so friendly in my tank and i think that once they are outside i won't hardly see them as their natural instincts will come out in them more.

<br>

oh well, as long as Mojo and Homer are happy, i'm happy

<br>

Btw, do you know any good pond pump brands? The pond will hold roughly 1000L

<br>

Tim

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Tim,

<br>

<br>

Sorry for the late reply... How's construction going?

<br>

<br>

I'd perhaps dig a small depression and add leaf mulch thickly over it... That will provide better protection for the animals during hibernation.

<br>

<br>

Just a thought... Wait until spring to introduce the animals to their new enclosure, that way, they'll have finished wintering and you'll be able to observe them without being apprehensive for their safety.

<br>

<br>

Pondmaster is a very good, reliable pond pump brand...

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

Archived