Using Glass Tanks For Pythons

E4G13M4N

<H1>Glass snake cage need help!!!</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 Electric 00</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi

<br>

<br>

I'm thinking of getting a Diamond Python i have never kept snakes before so i don't really know much

<br>

<br>

I was thinking of making a glass tank for it but can someone please tell me what dimensions a Diamond Python needs. eg i was thinking 4' 3' 2' but that's just a guess.

<br>

<br>

Cheers Scott

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: the reptilian</STRONG><BR><BR>That should be big enough for your diamond, but the bigger the cage the better. If you buy the snake as a juvenile you will need to house him in a smaller enclosure then that until he gets bigger, this is because they can get stressed out to much in a large enclosure.

<br>

<br>

hope this helps electric.

<br>

<br>

charles

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 electric 00</STRONG><BR><BR>But i have changed my mind i might get a carpet python instead

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: the reptilian</STRONG><BR><BR>same goes for both pythons

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 Electric 00</STRONG><BR><BR>ok cheers

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Whiteyyt</STRONG><BR><BR>If you are in NSW a glass tank of that size is big enough for a while, until it gets to adult size, as Reptillian Said for juvies you need something smaller... chinese container to tupaware box to smal pastic aquarium or mouse with the click down lids to a small(ish) tank to the one you are looking at to something maybe a bit taller for an adult as Both Carpets and Diamonds Hang around in trees..

<br>

The reason I mentioned NSW being important is that they (Diamonds and Certain types of Coastals) are native to NSW so temperature or rather lack of it is not Quite as important...

<br>

All glass cages (being cages made entirely of Glass as opposed to EVERY glass Cage) are VERY difficult to keep warm without going overboard Glass loses heat Very Quickly but again having said that, if your coastal is a form native to the area then it's not such a problem.

<br>

Personally I prefer predominantly wooden cages with glass front as they are easier to keep to the required temperature.

<br>

just my $0.02

<br>

<br>

Cheers

<br>

Whitey.

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 Electric 00</STRONG><BR><BR>Ok thnnks for that Whiteyyt

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: PepperK</STRONG><BR><BR>I'm also considering a glass tank.

<br>

I have an old 5' tank here that the bottom cracked in, so i removed that sheet and was considering mounting it on a desk or similar.

<br>

Do you guys think that the mesh panel i would likely have on top would be sufficient ventilation? My current wooden enclosure has vents in both sides - but obviously glass would compromise this.

<br>

<br>

Cheers

<br>

<br>

Tristan

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Whiteyyt</STRONG><BR><BR>That is Plenty of Ventilation. Again a Glass cage is difficult to keep warm so you might want to only use a vent slot about 3-4 inches wide about half the length of the tank.

<br>

just my $0.02

<br>

<p>

Cheers

<br>

Whitey.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: sgrunter</STRONG><BR><BR>Get a coastal mate, you wont look back!

<br>

Unless of course it's chasing you!

<br>

<br>

I have my 2 in a little plastic fish tank!

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: meesterclarence</STRONG><BR><BR>I have a glass snake. It just sits on my mantle. I'm curious as to why you'd want to put one in a cage?

<br>

<br>

Paul

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Paul, your sense of humour is as dry as the Simpson Desert... It's brilliant!!!

<br>

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>I prefer the Carpets over Diamonds as they seem a little less aggressive. I had a Carpet and it was the most placid snake i've had. It's skin was an awesome black and brown pattern that was always in such beautiful condition.

<br>

I don't think the diamonds like me as much as the Carpets and heres why i think that. I was holding a 7ft Diamond (my mates one) when all of a sudden it layed this white oval-shaped thing on my lap

I started shouting out to my mate that his snake had just layed an egg on me so he came running in.

<br>

He broke out in hysterics and between laughing he finally got out thats not an egg, thats a ....

<br>

Well, how was i supposed to know

<br>

Olives are quite nice to Scott.

<br>

Tim

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>I'm right with you on that one, Tim. I love the various subspecies of Carpets. I have a Coastal Queensland Carpet and a Murray-Darling Carpet at home. Both have beautiful natures and awesome patterns. I hope to complete the collection by next year.

<br>

<br>

My most embarrassing moment is when my big Coastal landed the remains of last month's meal (a rabbit) all over me in front of friends. Was most amusing (to them, anyway). lol

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: meesterclarence</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi. Andrew. Thanks. I'm glad someone understands me. Usually it's kind of like smallpox: Most people just don't get it.

<br>

<br>

Paul

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>No worries there, Paul... Gary Larson and I have similar minds!

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: africancichlidau</STRONG><BR><BR>Yes sireeeeee, Olives are a beautiful snake but they do get rather large! This is the only reason I don't have one as I don't have room for an enclosure big enough to house one comfortably at the moment.

<br>

Coastals are beauties too but have found diamonds to be much more placid. You have to keep in mind though that individual snakes have individual personalities and a lot depends on how they are housed, fed etc as to how aggressive they become.

<br>

Another one for you to think about is the Bredli, a beautiful snake if ever there was one

Oh well, thats just my 2 cents worth.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: MedowieMan</STRONG><BR><BR>will back you up on the bredli call mate. I have a pair here about 18 months old and neither has shown me a scrap of aggro. The patterns on them are way different than any others that I've seen - the usual cream blotches bordered with black but way more of them than the norm. They are approx 90cm. They are not yet the nice brick red of their parents. Do they grow into that (like a jungle getting it's colour) or will they stay as is?

<br>

Will try to get a photo.

<br>

Regards, Steve.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: the reptilian</STRONG><BR><BR>they will grow into their colour

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 Electric 00</STRONG><BR><BR>I have left the idea of getting a snake because its to hard to get them in Perth.

<br>

<br>

But as soon as we can get them at a reasonable price i will get one for sure.

<br>

<br>

I saw this one that a reptile keeper had and i held it. Its so cool:

<br>

Antaresia stimsoni

<br>

common name: Stimson's Python

<br>

<br>

But the problem here is that the laws are stoopid its near imposible to get my hands on one and if one pops up i will be looking at $1500 for a yearling

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Don't give up hope yet... If the situation changes to allow the legal acquisition of a python, Stimson's Pythons sell for around $300.00 in Sydney. You'll be able to organise an import licence to bring one over from here. I did that with my Olive Python - brought it over from Adelaide - at a much cheaper price than I could have bought it for in Sydney.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

Archived