Natives

limegirl

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Sydney that has a good supply of Australian natives. I have a 2ft that is just waiting for a native population. I am not interested in rainbows, and I am not interested in hearing about people "who can get me" the fish I want. Only the names of moral suppliers need be passed on!

R

• 1 month later...
Can anyone recommend anywhere in Sydney that has a good supply of Australian natives. I have a 2ft that is just waiting for a native population. I am not interested in rainbows, and I am not interested in hearing about people "who can get me" the fish I want. Only the names of moral suppliers need be passed on!

R

Hmmmmm I don't think people are going to be too happy to help you if you use that tone dry.gif

Really. I wasn't intending to use a tone. I only added that suffix because I have spoken to people about this before and they have been more than happy to put me in contact with people who will "procure" the species I am interested in. And since the status of some fish is unclear, I don't want to be party to wild populations being damaged. We have done enough damage to our natural ecology already.

I wasn't implying that this forum is full of dodgys ... far from it. I was just stating my intentions early to avoid dissappointment!

Just out of interest, what sort of natives are you after if not rainbows?

I know that rainbows assorted are the most common native available, but really, arent the rest reasonably boring (particularly those that will fit in a 2ft tank)?

The only ones I can think of are gobiids, atherinids and galaxids, none of which are that inspiring.

-worm-

Hmmm, in my experience tank bred natives aren't 'seasonal'. Have you tried contacting ANGFA members? ANGFA has a web page somewhere. I'm sure someone would be more than happy to provide you with some Empire gudgeons or purple spotted gudgeons (although you would need to be careful with these in a two ft tank), or if you happen to be open to fish from PNG, praecox and peacock gudgeons are far from boring and would go better in a 2ft. Or maybe blue eyes?

Thanks for all the interest/advice!

I have done much research on the web, and decided that the following might work:

Southern Pygmy Perch

Nannoperca australis

Western Carp Gudgeon

Hypseleotris klunzingeri

redfinned blue eye

Scaturiginichthys vermeilipinnis

western chanda perch

Ambassis mulleri

Midgley's carp gudgeon

Hypseleotris sp A

From what I can find out most are fairly small, and all have been kept in aquaria, but apart from that ...

A mate of mine has some Blue Eyes for me, and I already have a pair of peacocks - a female full to the brim with eggs, and a male who is carefully preparing a den! Could get exciting!

not bad choices!

I would like to clarify my previous statement, not ALL natives are boring, its just that most of the natives other that rainbows are reasonably uninspiring. I wil freely admit that blue-eyes and some others are quite cool.

Also since you mentioned pygmy perch before (Nannoperca spp.) the western pygmy perch is a seriously schmick fish (Nannoperca vittata) but the photos available just don't do it justice. I was lucky enough to catch some wild ones as part of a scientific study in SW WA and the colours were pretty amazing (cherry red and jet black) so if you can find this species it may be worth it.

-worm-

Southern Pygmy Perch

Nannoperca australis

"Should be some of these still around"

Western Carp Gudgeon

Hypseleotris klunzingeri

"Hard to get at the best of times"

redfinned blue eye

Scaturiginichthys vermeilipinnis

"One of the hardest to get, only a couple of breeders that have been successfull"

Protected now so no new stock can be obtained now, hopefully the wild poulation will survive.

western chanda perch

Ambassis mulleri

"I havnt seen these on offer as yet, although a couple of W/C may have been around"

Midgley's carp gudgeon

Hypseleotris sp A

"Another that is not very common"

I am not in Sydney so cant recommend a supplyer there..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I know you have said 'no' to rainbowfish, but if you like the blue eyes and are looking for an interesting fish for a planted 2ft, the the Threadfin Rainbow (Iriatherina werneri) is ideal, elegant, challenging and beautiful. These can be ordered from ST George or Auburn Aquariums.

werneri

auburn has them in stock at the moment

I'm a huge fan of native fish, but have't kept anything other than blue eyes and gudgeons in a 2ft, i think a few have already said it, but many fish on your wish list are nigh impossible to find!

Most of the Pygmy perch i've seen around are very badly shaped and not well cared for by the LFS' so far of the 8 i've bought on 2 seperate occasions they've all died with a week? Can't for the life of me figure out why, and everytime i go back to get some more the LFS has lost all of theirs as well. Maybe bad breeding, genetics, i dunno, but be carefull when buying them and make sure they a really healthy and reasonably active.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! By the sounds of it I am just going to have to keep asking around! Shame that all these wonderful fish that are native to this country are not readily available in this country!!!

A lot of the natives are Farm\pond bred or WC that reach the shops via wholesalers and collectors and may need to be treated for worms and flukes.

Not many natives make it to the LFS that are privately bred they are spread around the clubs.

Some wild caughts may also breakout with a bacterial\fungal infection to prevent that use 1 teaspoon of sea salt per 10 litres of water and they should be fine.

Same goes for when collecting your own use salt to transport them (obviously different states have their own laws on collecting so abide by them wink2.gif ).

Fish i have found extremely hard to keep are smelts and bony bream both need extremely high oxygenated conditions wich make them a bit harder to transport alive.

Personally i think the best way to get natives is to catch them yourself!

It's heaps more fun than just walking into a shop and buying them!

Generally speaking, but do your homework and don't just rely on my info. Any fish not listed by fisheries as having a legal size/weight/number limit can be captured for your fishtank, but if a fish does have a legal size/weight/number this must be followed.

So, you can only take a tandanus catfish over 30cm fo your fish tank (not juveniles) however smelt can be taken freely, however i rarely take more than 10 of anything as transport can become difficult. And make sure you invest in a battery operated aerator, about $5 from K-mart and tackle shops.

And if you catch something cool, share them around and hopefully some breeding will occur and then more poeole will have cool native fish!!!

Bets of luck

Mate try Brookvale hi tek aquariums... fish works terry hill they sometimes have some natives. but u can always ask for the boss of a shop to order you some in.

Mate try Brookvale hi tek aquariums... fish works terry hill they sometimes have some natives. but u can always ask for the boss of a shop to order you some in.

• 11 months later...

Limegirl,

I recently got some Chlamydogobius eremius (when i was on holiday in Melbourne) and they are great they stay small, the male is nicely coloured and apparently they breed pretty easily!

Another truely amazing fish is the butis butis. They look really boring in the shop but once you observe them in a planted tank you'll be blown away, they change colour and pattern and they look like they can change texture too. But the best thing about them is the way they swim, they basically have neutral buoyancy so can swim in any direction, they use these skills particularly well while hunting feeders :lol4:

As for rainbows try STG they hade a few today. Two nice male Iriatherina werneri and plenty of blue eyes.

Occasionally bronte rd aquariums have some really interesting stuff (although overpriced IMHO)

I am going to go on a bit of a mission later this week to look for small natives, I'll let you know how I go. (manly and nautilus aquariums don't have much in the way of natives ATM)

Cheers

Mick

PS Mark (E4G13M4N) when did you move to SA?

Went to parramatta pets and produce and auburn aquariums today.

Both had a nice range of bows, threadfins and blue eyes.

Auburn had more range at a better price, they also had some nice archers and plenty of gudgeons (and one goby that I could see)

Cheers

Mick

Archived