electric yellows

Red Tail Shark

have had these electric yellows since they wjere about 2-3cms at what size are they distinguishable from male and female and how old do they need to be to breed a couple look like they possibly have swollen mouths if pregant should i separate them ???????????

cheers Cal

I don't think there is a tried and true method of sexing Labidochromis caeruleus apart from vent sexing i.e. examining their genital papillae. You could wait for one of them to hold but you may have a long wait if they are all the same sex. I have seen some males have blacker dorsal, pelvic, and anal fins but I have seen some dominant females possess the same attributes.

Ged is right. As a rule, males will show more black in the fins, but it's not a 100% accurate way of sexing them.

As for the holding females, make yourself up some floating ice cream container / flyscreen fry savers and place the females in one each and let them spit naturally (although they may not hold to term the first couple of times).

Hi Cal,

I agree with Andy and Ged.

Electric yellows are one of the most difficult mbunas to sex even at adult size.

Keep in mind that it is almost impossible to sex any mbunas at 2-3cm size. You have to wait until they get at least 4-5cm before you can pick the sexes of the easier ones.

Roland

Archived