New Tank Q'n?

Ant

I've setup my tank with an established power filter, 2 established sponge filters (temporary), about 30% of the gravel is established and about 80% of the water is established. Will it cycle or should it be ok to put fish in?????

Anthony cool.gif

What size tank is it and what fish are you putting in it?

Sould be ok but go slow. Don't put as many fish in there as you would normaly for a few weeks.

Best of luck and Happy Birthday.

The tank is 3ft 6in x 20 x 18, will eventually be putting a colony of Hongi (1 male 3 female) in there and a colony of juvy e-blues (1male 4 female). Will 2 fish a day be ok? or more like 1 fish a day?

G'day Anthony

Did the power filter come off a heavily stocked fish tank? If it did then I would say you should be sleeping easy! smile.gif

If not then I agree with the going slow method.

Either way keep an eye on the water parameters for a few weeks, but I would say that you have done everything pretty darn well. biggrin.gif

I wish more people did things this way! There would be a lot more happy fish and happy fishkeepers out there. rolleyes.gif

I agree, i have just set-up another 3 footer, I took half the gravel out of my community tank, 50% of the water came from there, added "cycle" into the water and the new filter, let rest for a day and a half to let water clear and then added fish from another overstocked tank, they are doing really well brighter, healthier happier (well i think!), and no aggression what-so ever. You should be fine, and if not find a really good lfs and they usually will help however possible smile.gif

The tank was about max compacity, the power filter that is going in the new tank was there because the tank was slightly crowded (but now im running a canister on that tank:)) So yea it should be ok, i think ill just add one fish a day and every time i add a fish ill put some sort of established ornament (ie rock) in at the same time and add a bit of cycle.

Anthony cool.gif

Good q'n????? I'd like to know that too???? I think by adding fish slowly it ensures that this occurs.....

Anthony cool.gif

Archived