Pool Sand

carlos

hi guys,

im setting up my 55G for multis and need something to buffer the water. Has anyone used pool sand? what are its advantages/disadvantages (besides being heaps cheaper then coral sand)?

or should i just use river sand and chuck say, a canister filter basket full of shell grit or marble chips in the filter? will this be enough to buffer a 55G?

thanks kimmy, ur from shelldwellers.com right? haha small world.

ok now m a bit confused because there is pool filter sand, and there is pool dust. besides size, is there a difference? which should i be using?

hey Carlos

good to see back around ,

go with the pool sand if ya like the looks, it'll do zip for the buffer, crushed limestone[fine sand] or fine shell grit looks good and helps the water

plain old river sand and shell grit is my choice, but whatever you choose, wash it well.

cheers

I use pool filter sand as a substrate and its great. It doesnt get as tightly packed as other sands but the downside of course is that it has no buffering capabilities (to my knowledge).

I find it easy to clean and it doesnt look too bad. I still think coral sand looks better though.

maybe ill mix a 10kg of crushed coral with pool sand, will that be enough? i'm liking the idea of pool sand... is it easier to clean then normal sand?

yes where did u get limestone grit, or whatever substrate ur using from? i'v been looking everywhere for limestone, landscape suppliers, rock suppliers etc and no one seems to have. iv heard minicrete in lakemba has it but i was hoping to find some a little closer to home (caslte hill).

also, how many kilos of sand should i get for a 1.5inch sand bed on a 48x14 base?

The fine stuff comes from sandlasters and the like. Its also used for chooks so maybe produce stores(this is a guess). Comes in bags like garnet sand etc... Age of aquariums has 1mm calcium carb(same thing). So maybe lfs could get you some?

Cheers,

Jason

Archived