new dawrf cichlid community questions

ultrajamie

i'm setting up a juwel rio 240 for dwarf cichlids... it's roughly 48x18x18 and will have an eheim 2026 as well as the juwel filter.

the decor will be a tangle of bogwood and small caves broken up by thick areas of plants...

i'd like to keep:

2 curvceps

2 keyholes

pair of kribs

2 butterfly cichlids

and a few corydoras along with 20 or 30 neons

would these all get along?

Hi

Sounds a very nice setup (mixing South Americans with West Africans but I dont have a serious issue with that).

If you are looking at breeding the dwarfs I would make the following points:

a) the corydoras are likely to successfully raid the eggs/fry except for the

kribs which are pretty much a match for them

b) you may have a number of "casualties" with the neons until they learn to

pretty much keep out of the way.

Cheers

Hi

Sounds a very nice setup (mixing South Americans with West Africans but I dont have a serious issue with that).

If you are looking at breeding the dwarfs I would make the following points:

a) the corydoras are likely to successfully raid the eggs/fry except for the

kribs which are pretty much a match for them

b) you may have a number of "casualties" with the neons until they learn to

pretty much keep out of the way.

Cheers

thanx for the advice,

it's not really my intention to breed any of them... so i don't mind the potential for the corys to raid and spwan sites,

maybe i should replace the tetras with something a bit more robust?

tiger barbs???

Jamie,

Your proposed set up sounds fantastic, everything will get along fine, the neons will not be a problem with dwarfs, so long as they 3cm+ or so. The tank is quite a good size with plenty of places to hide. You will only possibly encounter problems when the cichlids breed, and even then probably only the kribs. I found when I had breeding kribs they chased other cichlids mainly and left the small tetras alone. But this is just my limited experience.

Good luck

Keyholes are very peaceful and won't bother Tetra's such as Diamond or Red eyes and Neon's should be okay too. Keyholes on the other hand can be very protective of fry if they spawn if they pair off. Keyholes are also very shy cichlids. I kept Keyholes for many years and have had a pair spawn now and then. I never had any success with their spawn unfortunately.

I miss keeping Keyholes but haven't seem them in years. I used to be so fortunate to get mine the size of dimes and let them grow.

Good lucks Kribs are also beautiful too. :)

Hi Jamie,

Your tank sounds pretty nice~ :blink But if you are intended to breed these cichlid, I reckon the kribs might attack on those who get near their caves~ I've spawned a batch of kribs 2 months ago, the pair has killed one of my BN and kept on attacking the albino corydoras! It seemed that the krib would ignore the tetras but they never give up on attacking bottom & middle feeders~

Anyway, Kribs are indeed very beautiful if they are well feed and spawning is very interesting to look at as well~ Now I'm waiting for my first batch to grow up and the pair are now taking care the new-born 2nd batch~ :^:

Good luck to you (and your fishies~^__^)~

Heidi

you could go with cardinal tetras instead if u r afraid of tetra losses. Same colours as neons but alot more colour (colour goes all the way down the sides) and they are a bit bigger aswell. They are a bit pricier however and can be hard to source at times.

Archived