Billabong Bugs

Cichlabxr

Intriguing could be a useful source of food! thumbup.gif

Oh no..... looking into my crystal ball. (The batteries are hazy, but....)

There will be a forum yes.gif

and then an albino variety will appear, at 20 times the original price.... shock.gif

amazing creatures. cool.gif

I just did a quick search on the net after reading the link you supplied. They sound awesome and should be easy to do but what effect would the exoskeleton have on fish if ingested, I ask because the pictures i saw suggest quite a hardy exo shell which could do fish gut damage.

More info would definately be of value here. Has anyone fed these to fish on an ongoing basis or physically taken one of these critters apart to see how hard its shell is?

Bob

Quite a few cichlids feed on gammarus. These also crustaceans with an exoskeleton. Electric blues definitely have no problems with these. Without consulting my books I do know with quite a few other Malawi and American cichlids gammarus forms part of their staple diet.

I just wondered if any of the more scientifically gifted on the forum might know if they are similar.

I also know that auloncara like to dart into sand to pick out small crustaceans. I doubt there is going to be anything on the internet that says "Yes you can feed these to cichlids", however the billabong bugs site does say fish love to eat them.

Although I wouldn't try necessarily feeding these things to smaller fish, I imagine some of the larger haps could take them out quite easily without any ill effect.

Billabong Bugs, Anyone tried these as food?

Aren't they a bit small ? wonder what they'd taste like..... blink.gif

Oh, you mean for fish

Personally i think they're rather cute, i wouldn't worry about using them for food laugh.gif

Archived