Yellowbellys and sootys

the cichlid kid

Just wondering if anyone has used these fish in larger native community set-ups? I ask because most places i read about them being kept in the aquarium these two are always referred to as solitary fish because they are highly aggressive to tankmates. can anyone verify this or share their experiences.

thanks in advance

Beau.

I have seen yellowbellys kept with archers, barra, tandanus etc.... But Sooty is going to be a bit hit and miss. Get a good one you'll be OK, get a bad one, they are part animal, part machine. I be interested to know what other people keep their sootys with. I had one ages ago I had to release, because he hammered everything. Including a tough oscar and a jag.

Cheers,

Jason

This tank was a 8x3x3, but I would have thought a 6x2x2 would be adequate If there werent too many other big fish in there. They can get bigger than 12 inches, and like swimming room. I'm no expert on golden perch, but have seen them in aquarium before. They are stocked in small dams alot I think.

Cheers,

Jason

• 1 month later...

I have a sooty that's about 20-25cm long.

I keep it with a small breeding pair of convicts (which regulary chase it) and a couple of other cichlids.

So far only 1 or 2 cichlids have dissappeared which is more than I can say for my coal grunter (mutters darkly about the dozen bows that vanished)....

So I reckon I've got a good one.

PM me if you're in Syd and want to buy it...

Mick

Archived