drift wood problem

prince

i have a hollow driftwood that i bought at the auction and it is currently in a bucket with water.

its been in water for about a week (changing water everyday) and everyday the water goes brown, it also smell a bit.

is this normal? or is there something wrong with the driftwood?

its called tennin(spelling) it will keep leaking for ages i have heard some people have put driftwood in their tanks 5 years earlier and is still leaking to this day.

the best way i have found to do it is to get a storage container(go-lo for like $9) and completely cover with Boiling water(take caution) and buy the largest bottle of cheap vinegar you can find and tip desired amount into the boiling water and let sit for a couple of days. I did this with my latest peice of bogwood and was useable within a week and hasnt leaked yet. It also depends on the type of wood

Hope that helps thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

how much vinegar you put in the boiling water?

do you first cover the drift wood with boiling water then add vinegar?

or you put half boiling water half vinegar?

and does anyone know what cause the smell?

put enough boiling water in the container to fully submerge the driftwood then add about 2 cups to the water

the smell might be comming from the water being stagnant(off) but the driftwood will smell like vinegar anyways wink.gif well until you rinse it off

Hope that helps thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Ok - the compounds that are leaching from the wood are tannic acids (and their derivatives).

The ONLY way to get rid of tannins is to soak the wood so that most of the come out. Tannins are harmless to fish - though they will push the pH down in unbuffered aquaria.

Hot water works better than cold as the tannins leach out quicker into warm water. Diffusion rates depend on a lot of things: 1. molecule size (tannins are BIG buggers M.Mass: up around 1700), 2. Temperature: higher temps = fast moving molecules. 2. Density of the thing they are diffusing through (ie: the wood in your case).

There's lots of wierd theories on ways to make it go quicker (salt, bleach, yak dung, eye of newt). In reality, I suspect few of these will work, though I reckon yak dung might be worth a try *joking*.

My tip: Soak in a big volume of water, for as long as you can, and you'll get rid of the tannins.

When you say the wood smells, what does it smell like?

If it smells rotten then you may find that after all the soaking and boiling the whole thing will fall apart because its rotten to the core, I've had that happen once or twice. If it smells a bit swampy a good scrub with a stiff brush to remove the soft surface material and all the soaking and boiling should get rid of the smell.

I tried the yak dung idea once but the beast kicked me when i put his butt in the boiling water. dntknw.gif

As for changing water constantly, I wouldn't bother as the tannins will keep leaching out as long as there is more tannin in the wood than there is in the water. once a week is probably enough.

Bob

If you can fit the piece into a large metal pot/tub - you can boil the water constantly. speeds things up.

I've tried salt & bleach to speed things up, salt did nothing & bleach was only temporary (and made the wood white till the tannins leached back out)

how long does it take till it stop leaking?

how long is a piece of string? can be from anywhere from a few days to afew months, I have one bit I have had soaking for about 2 months and its still leaching...

Some woods are better than others, I found bleach and chlorine to speed the process up, just remember if you use any chemicals that it will need at least another week soaking in fresh water to be safe

Archived