albino bristlenose whats up

xinguinsis

Hi all,

Can anybody who's had any experience with these guys suggest reasons as to why their not readily available buy now when they've supposedly being in the country for quite some time and does anybody know anybody who has young to sell?

Regards Chris

hi chris

albino bristlenose would be as rare as hens teeth. Most that seem to have been mentioned have been bogus or have died.

The last ones i heard of were $ 400+ for 7 cm fish... and even then only 3 fish

As most fish everything tends to surface... Its all a matter of one values them at.

that being said. Even a large outlay would not take long to recover the initial outlay.

A pair of peppermints sold for over 600 recently...ALbinos being a lot rarer could be worth more...

regards

Mike

aurea@optushome.com.au

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input yeh it frequently suprises me how many fish don't take hold when they come in .Couldn't find anything on planet catfish saying they were any harder than normal bristlenose(good breeding article with nice photos in there) $400 ea doesn't seem much if you sure there's hardly any around.I't would be nice to see some nice catties become available again . Wouldn't of heard of any young L134s (or similar) being around by any chance?

Regards Chris

Hi Mike,

Yeh in that case it looks like I'll be waiting a while I thought (from reports )I could get 10 for about 4k rather than 10k I've paid those sought of prices for catties before though for stuff like zebras.Didn't somebody supposedly get a spawn or two of the pulchers or vittatas off about 3 years back .Im looking forward to the time when Aussie aquarist start putting in the work required to breed this stuff on some sort of regular basis.

Regards Chris

Hi chris

There was a few L134 floating around but were snaffled very quickly...

I think that those who have them will not part with them. These have not been spawned in australia to my knowledge.

I think the time of catties being available at cheap prices will be a long ways off as they are harder to breed than cichlids, less available and tend to produce less fry. Harder to raise... All these factors mean demand will always be higher than supply meaning they will be expensive for a while.

Mike

A fishkeeper in Victoria used to be breeding Zonancistrus (Peckoltia) pulcher L168, but the breeding fish have since been sold and I haven't heard about anyone breeding any more of them. When they were available AI was supposedly selling them for like $50!!! Now they're a fair bit more expensive then that...

-Shaun

Archived