Rocks: Where to find (007)

Guest big bad burundi

Cut out the middle man and look in yellow pages for mining companies.

Or ring around some quarries im sure they can help you.

i'd just contact your local landscape supplier and if they don't have them i'm sure that they would know where to get them

otherwise contact some mining companies and they might be able to help you but i think most of them will only deal in larger quantities. but i might tbe wrong (it happend once before rolleyes.gif )

James

Hi Fishly,

do you actually want "chunks" of granite or sheet type of stuff??

All granite suppliers buy their granite in 20 and 30mm thick slabs and they always have offcuts and broken, good sized pieces lying out the back from when the kitchen benchtop was cut wrong ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

I think mining companies, apart from being a long way away, won't even bother with someone who wants a couple of pieces unless you know someone on the inside. Besides, there is not a lot of granite that is mined in Oz compared to o'seas and our colour range is pretty crappy anyway huh.gif .

If you want chunky slab type stuff that may be broken, you can try these wholesalers

Granitek - Silverwater Road Silverwater

Amalgamated Marble & Granite Fairford Road Padstow.

Granite is also a very, very dense and heavy rock - you sure you wany that in your tank? It also won't have any of the nice holes and stuff that you would have in normal rocks. Sandstone (landscaper) might be a better option but can be crumbly so you have to grade what you buy.

My opinion?? Take a drive to Woomera and go and get your own Woomera rock. It's free and will only cost you the wonderful experience of the trip ........ plus fuel LOL

Fishly -

I got a heap of granite from a farm out at Cooma. I just asked a local farmer if he minded if I collected a few bits... he said nope, go ahead... so I did.

Here's a pic of the rocks in a tank:

user posted image

HTH -

Thanks guys for all your replies.

The rock that I am looking for is the chunk one, like the one in YeW's photo.

Anita, unfortunately woomera is at Outback, I would go there if it is located at NSW laugh.gif However, I think that's a very good idea for someone who live close to that area. Thanks Anita for remind me that this kind of rock is very heavy, I will consider other type of rocks.

Megalodon, I went to my local landscaper, and called Australian Native Lanscaper already, but unfortunately they don't have them. However, I'll keep searching and will let you know after I got some.

YeW, do you think that they still have plenty of rocks there?

Regards,

Fishly

i dont think monodelphus hand out granite even if they mined it lol

try some hardwere shops as a last resort but susrly you could find it around it garening supply stores

I just want to post some update of my search.

I have tried so many landscaper, but all of them don't have the chunky granite rock. I think the last place to go is to the farm where Dave got his rocks, or buy some other type of rocks at the LFS (but quite expensive - $6/kg).

Oracle and other people, do you want to share petrol with me to go to that place to get some rocks? But I am not sure when I am going there huh.gif

Archived