Why is it?

YeW

Hi All, raisehand.gif

Back in the good old SCP days I used to regularily advertise Corydoras agassizii for sale asking ridiculously low prices for them and rarely got any interest. At one stage I had a very successful breeding program running, but could never get interest from buyers, so I basically gave up in the end and kept them in community tanks.

It's such a shame that people don't think more of them, as far as I am concerned they are some of the coolest and most entertaining fish I have ever kept!!! dntknw.gif

• 1 year later...

Im another big corydora fan. And i'd love to see many more varietys in LFS. I'd be willing to pay the appropiate amount for rarer/ exotic species. The main common ones available to me are bronze, peppers, juili and albinos.

More variety please!!!!!!

There don't seem to be many varieties down this way, although I love 'em :B

We've only got trilineatus (available a lot of the time) and similis (only seen them once) - on the pricier side but they look awesome :thumb

Also have common and peppermint BN and our lovely gibby :lol1:

A quick look down one wholsale price list, and aside from sterbai, pandas and other nice fish that are always available, a few not so common cories available this week.

Neon red stripe, arcuatus, agassizi, barbatus, caudimaculatus, davidsandsi, delphax, guapore, leopardus, melanistus, polystictus, robinae, duplacareus, pulcher, tucurui, undulatus and C49.

So there is atleast a dozen and a half species available at the moment, and I have see 20 or more other nice cories from time to time

Alan.

Not sure but it wasnt bayfish that had them, so it must have been aquarium industries.

I do remember that the most expensive cory on their list would retail about 60 - 70 bucks, but I cant remember if it was the weitzmani

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Has any one heard of these before Co.ADOLFOI"NEW" (C121, Corydoras cf. burgessi) i got the name from that list, they look pretty nice i wouldnt mind getting some of them if they were available.

I'm curious about something. There's been 1000 posts on here (ok, a slight stretch) on zebra plecos and the like. There seems to be a whole world of Corydoras available (the whole genus) and yet no one (except Alan - and one or two others) appears to be interested.

Additionally - while any "new" locariid seems to cause a massive fuss, species that are already here like whiptails and Farlowella (excuse my possible wrong spelling) get little to no press at all.

Is there something about a fancy bristlenose that I'm missing? Or is the grass just that much greener?

your forgetting one thing dave.$$$$$.L numbers are the new black :lol1: .i dont look to the species for the answers i look to the people that own them.cory owners remind me of CA/SA owners they keep them for the love of the species and the enjoyment of keeping them alive in the hobby.this may be controversial but i believe the majority of hobbieists currently keeping L numbers do so with dollar signs in thier eyes.why else would you see people still asking exorbitant prices for them when they themselves are the ones that are breeding them.L numbers seem to be popular at the moment because the majority of people buying them believe they are going to make their fortune from them.these people dont cast thier eye towards corys because they know that they wont see any financial return for thier efforts.no money equals no interest.

Dont get me wrong you guys arent alone in this (there's plenty of cichlid folk who drool over the next Pseudotropheus that comes along while snubbing lombardoi .)

$$$$$$$$

its a shame because i believe that if you truly love a species you should do your best to make sure that as many people as possible can share in the enjoyment of keeping them.not just the ones who can afford them.i once had a pair of L201 but unfortunately squashed the male with a rock.theres not a day that goes by that i dont look at my female and think about what could been :( .free L201s anyone ;) .for the record i absolutely love corys unfortunately none of my other fish share my enthusiasm for them.

ps canberra alex nice link :thumb

I reckon the 'love' for corydoras really isn't there because:

- Most of the arn't attractive looking fish.

- Most look pretty much the same

- Other fish (like L numbers) crap on them for colour

- It's true that they are not feasable to breed

Ps Yellow i doubt very much that you would be giving away L201 fry (even if you could). You're wrong about L numbers too. There's no big money in them because they don't breed much and they're expensive to start with. The fry are painful to raise too. I think you should turn around and look at your common $1/cm fish types with those comments about being money hungry because that is really where the money and mass quantities are :roll

Ps Yellow i doubt very much that you would be giving away L201 fry (even if you could).

mike i have given away L201.i bred them awhile back before i squashed my male thats how i know ive got a female.im not going to name the people that i gave them too as im sure they wouldnt appreciate it but they know who they are. ;) if i had a dollar for every fish id given away id be a rich man and theres a thousand people on this site alone that can attest to that

You're wrong about L numbers too. There's no big money in them because they don't breed much and they're expensive to start with

i never said there was big money in them i said people believe they are going to make their fortunes from them. :lol3:

I think you should turn around and look at your common $1/cm fish types with those comments about being money hungry because that is really where the money and mass quantities are

the purpose of my post wasnt to single out anyone i posted it to shed light on what ive observed in recent times.people may believe that because i give the majority of my fish away that im against the sale of fish.in this instance nothing could be further from the truth.im all for the sale of fish without it i believe the hobby would suffer in general.i have a small setup with little outgoings so i can afford to give fish away but i do realise that others with larger systems cant do this and thus sell fish to fund thier hobby.the thing that i do dissagree with is when people with rare fish profiteer from them at the cost of the hobby.i dissagree with this not because of the money involved because if you can make it good on you.my grievance with it is that when these fish are sold for high prices the majority of hobbiests are instantly forced to buy less of the said species then they would of had they been more affordable.in doing this you limit the gene pool which creates problems for future generations.deformities or poor quality stock you can take your pick.how many of us have said in times gone by "theres no good such and such around any more".if you bred them then you decide what their ultimately worth so if you can give me a valid reason as to why theyre worth this much then ill understand but until then :dntknw:

That would make alot of people happy

its what i do :dntknw::lol1:.besides ive already got my hands full flying the flag for the central community but i agree with you someone needs to step up and follow my lead in the L number game.....MikeW....... :dntknw:

realistically if the majority of L breeders sold them for between 50- 70 each everyone would win.youd have more sales more bloodlines etc etc but for now its business as usual.oh well each to thier own :thumb

Archived