Pink-tailed chalceus

nick069

ok i have a few of these wonderful fish, just wondering if i can get some more, i want a school of 10, i have7 so far. Just wondering how much they are goin for, also some info would be good, not much on the internet. Do they get aggressive when full grown?

nick!

Hey Nick

I have one of these fish, i bought it when it was really small about 3 years ago, being about 3 inches. It is now about 7 inches and they make a great addition to any large tank with large fish. Mine cost me $47 at 3 inches. You might be able to pick them up a bit cheaper becuase i have seen a few places sell them under the name of 'pink tailed tetra', and they have been a lot cheaper compared to the fish that are sold as pink tail chalceus. I am pretty sure that they are the same fish, but i might be wrong.

Mine is not aggressive at all, in fact, he is intimidated to a certain extent by a 7 inch tin foil barb that he shares the tank with. I want to move him in with a 6 inch silver arowana, but because they share the same region of the tank, i am a little hesitant in doing this. I feed mine pieces of prawn, cause they are carnivores in the wild, but i am sure you could train them to accept pellets. The only draw back is that they scare very easily, and this can leave the fish injured with missing scales and lacerations, as well as water on the floor.

They are a great fish, and can become very tame, as i hand feed mine without any problems..

I haven't seen any small ones for sale recently, and when i have, the specimens offered for sale have been very very skinny.. You just have to pick the biggest one, and hope for the best.

Hope this helps mate and feel free to ask me any more questions

Regards

Arrafanatic

Hey Nick im not sure if we are talking about the same fish here but i had some cigar shark's look like the same fish you are talking about had 4 of them wonderfull fish they hooked into pellet's for me. But i had them with other americans sold them a while back as i needed the room still regret it mate. I will see if i can track some down up my end for ya.

Tim.

well i got my for $30 each at 4 inches, they hit 6 inches in a month, very peacful, very skittish, fast growing. Mine eat pellets. They share the tank with 5 cigar sharks, and distichodus . Im hoping to grow them and eventually add them in to a tanlbuster set up. Maybe with some rays and More peacful fish. Tsn, arrowanas will surely eat them. But i note they grow fatser and show better colours in large groups. And apparently live for a long time, longest one recored was at an american zoo at 17 years if my memory serves me right. They eat alot less then tinfoil babrs, so thats why i got them as an alternative. But i need a few more. Dont know how you got you one to eat out of your hand arrafanatic, after re landscaping my tank, they have been so skittish not sure if they will trust me again...lol

tankbuster wise, well alex ive have sold all of them a while back.

Might be looking at getting back into it, once prices start to drop a little, which they are........slowly. And alot more fish are starting to emerge so hopefully by end of the year i may have a few nice fish and a new tank set up to house them. Will keep you posted.

Chances are I'm retarded, but from reading this i think nick069 and Devil have got your wires crossed.

Devil

Hey Nick im not sure if we are talking about the same fish here but i had some cigar shark's look like the same fish you are talking about had 4 of them wonderfull fish they hooked into pellet's for me.

Nick

Mine eat pellets. They share the tank with 5 cigar sharks, and distichodus .

so that suggests to me you're not talking about the same fish as nicks chalceus are sharing a tank with cigar sharks????????????????????

I'm confused, please enlighten me.

Beau.

Archived