Dwarves available in Sydney

BlakeyBoyR

Hey guys. I am only just starting to get into SA dwarves and planted tanks. I've decided it is something I'd really like to pursue and as such was wondering what dwarves are available in Sydney, whether that be from breeders here on the forum or from stores.

The ones I know I can get are:

Bolivian and Blue Rams, from basically anywhere

Laetacara dorsigera, from bayfish. You just need to find someone to order them.

Apistogramma hongsloi, from one of the wholesalers. Petra in Melbourne I think. Yet again you just need to find someone to order them for you.

Apistogramma cacatuoides, Anthony at Auburn has some triple red pairs in at the moment for $30-$40 a pair from memory.

And thats it. That is about the extent of my sourcing knowledge right now. Please feel free to add onto it so others also have an idea of where to get the fish they are after.

Cheers, Blake.

A.viejita "Rio Meta"

A. macmasteri

A.juriensis

A.trifasciata "Guapore red"

A.agassizi "Double red"

A.hongsloi "Super Red Stroke"

A.cacatuoides "Double red"

German Blue rams (None of that BS long fin crap!)

B.cupido

..... these are available at Slippery Little Suckers (or have been very recently).

Hahaha, I love your comment on long fin rams, Im with you 100% mate!

Thanks for adding to the list. Whilst we wont be able to cover everything available we could at least get a reasonably comprehensive list going.

Come on guys, add replies! Even if it just to post where you can purchase good quailty kribs, anything is worth noting thumb.gif

Unless Im missing something mate those dwarves he mentioned are for sale at an aquarium called Slippery Little Suckers, he isnt keeping all of them himself.

I rang the shop today and they informed me they still currently have a few of the species in stock. Obviously it will change everyday so it is best just to ring them yourself before deciding to make the trip. I can tell you however that prices range from around $35 to $45 per fish. Im assuming those prices apply to everything but the rams, the lady on the phone wasnt too specific about exact prices for each one (but then again she was busy and I felt I'd be a pain if I asked for prices for each one!).

Hope that helps champ.

PS: You mentioned cupido and trifasciata, where abouts are these for sale?

Cheers

There's ONE cupido left.

A.trifasciata will be available again in 2 weeks I believe.

Prices range from $18.95-$45. for most apistos, microgeophagus and acarichthys. Biotodoma <--- OUCH!! $$$$ Except I haven't seen any of these around EVER before.

I've never seen any Biotodoma around before either. Even though the outlay is clearly a little pricey, if you could get them to breed you may make a little back given the scarcity of the species. But then again, if I've learned anything in fish keeping so far, its unlikely that you will MAKE money on it, and if thats your sole concern, youre in it for the wrong reasons.

I was never very interested in dwarves before, but Im really starting to become quite taken with them. I cant wait to keep my first dwarves as soon as this tank is cycled!

Keep those list additions coming guys.

I have a suggestion i was just wondering if any of you think it would be a good idea. Through this thread alone ive learnt of cupids being in Australia, i know where i can get this and that. But next week this will be useless. Is there a way we could do this once a week. Start a topic with say sydney dwarves 13/3 -20/3 so we can keep a running track of the fish that are around the different areas. I know that would save me a lot of effort. Along with dwarves we may as well add anything of special interest. Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

The same type of thing was suggested in another thread recently in regards to eartheaters and american cichlids. Some of the points made in regards to such a list is that we have the breeders registry which people are meant to search through if they want a particular species. One thing it does not do however, is say what dwarves are available at LFS from week to week in Sydney.

There are always details and logistical problems to work out, however having an up to date list of what dwarves are around every week could be very handy.

I suppose one way to do it would be to have each member who is interested pick an LFS, find out when they get their deliveries, and ring on the same day every week after their deliveries and ask what they currently have in stock. Then just keep editing the same post in the same thread from week to week. All that would be really necessary is a few dedicated individuals who dont mind making one or two phone calls a week to keep the list up to date.

If someone has a webpage that could host the list, then we would simply need to PM the "whats on offer" details to that person, and they could update the list once a week rather than have a continuously running thread here.

Suggestions? Ideas? Abuse? Im interested to see what people think.

Dwarves seem to be available a lot less frequently, and in smaller numbers, than either "africans" or "americans" generally speaking. Meaning that I feel the list would be maintainable. Ringing say Anthony at Auburn and saying "G'day mate what dwarves do you have in at the moment", would be reasonable because he may only need to take 1 minute of his time to give you the 4 or so species he has in stock. As opposed to ringing and asking "What africans do you have in stock right now", which would take him some time given he probably has 30 or so species at any one time.

If people think it is a dumb idea, fair enough. It would just be nice to know what we can get our hands on from week to week, and from where.

I rang Lam's but all they had was some rams (no rhyme intended).

We may need to do something about this list before this thread ends up being 50 posts long after only a couple of weeks. I don't think the mods would appreciate it.

Would anyone be willing to host one page of text and update it every week?

Archived