Silver's and drop eye?

Devil

Hi all

there seems to be a lot of ppl on this forum who own silvers so i thought there would be no better place than to ask i am just about to buy a silver and have looked at a few of them but every one i have seen over they 25cm mark has Drop eye and it is such a shame does anybody have one of these awsome fish with good size to it that does not have drop eye can it be fixed or is it just one of them things that you cant get past. Any info would me greatly apresiated.

Thanks ppl.

Tim.

Hi Devil,

I have 2 silvers now and one is about 35-40 cm and has just got drop eye.

The reason they get drop eye is because there top dwellers and are always looking down on their prey in local fish tanks, but in the wild they look up for there prey aswell as down.They eat spiders out of trees and and other insects.

You can take the drop eye back but it takes time and you must only have the aro in the tank and lower the water to 25-30 % so he can only look up..

In time his muscles behind the eye will pull it back up.

Also There is another risky way , you can massage it back into place but it is risky..

Drop eye is only excess fat on top of the eye because they dont use the muscle to tighten it up in aquaria.

hope ive helped with your question

Regards

Fish2die4

Thanks mate yeah i herd that you can put them in a pond and same outcome but over time. I think i don't mind that they get Drop eye still one of my fav fish and now i have one about 35cm and he is awsome and i have found him a girlfreind so im overly happy will kjeep you posted hopeing to get some pic's.

Tim.

my arro start to get drop eye at about 10 inch

then i started feeding him food from my hands (about 1cm from the water surface)

he has to always looking up to see where the food is

now 2 months later the drop eye has disappeared

i recommend to try doing this for a few months and see how you go

Lucifer thanks very much i will try it and see how it go's i mean whats the worst thing that can happen drop eye stays and i have a silver that i can hand feed i love it its a win win. I dont mind the drop eye really i have got used to it they are still awsome fish with or without it. But have had few nitrite problems and his barbels are looking really bad so drop eye is now the last thing im worryed about (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the help guy's.

Tim.

• 1 year later...

Someone told me that drop eyes were caused by fat buildup and the condition was difficult to reverse. Feeding them koi fish all the time could hasten this process. It would affect all types of arowanas, not just the silver.

I dont know if any of this is true though. Not into tank busters myself.

Cheers

William

Archived